• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 agents, 1 role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 agents, 1 role

Just been contacted by 2 agents for the same role.

Have confirmed with first agent that I want to be put forward at my bottom dollar rate. Have been contacted by second agent with same role also wanting to put me forward at a much higher rate.

Whats the best approach for this?

1) ring 1st agent and try to get rate upped to near 2nd agents rate. If they wont then tell them not to put me forward and go with 2nd agent.
    2) ring 1st agent and tell them not to put me forward and go with 2nd agent.

What should I do?

Is this similar to 2 girls, 1 cup?
    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
      Is this similar to 2 girls, 1 cup?
      Exactly what I came in to say
      Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
      I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post

Have confirmed with first agent that I want to be put forward at my bottom dollar rate. Have been contacted by second agent with same role also wanting to put me forward at a much higher rate.

1) ring 1st agent and try to get rate upped to near 2nd agents rate. If they wont then tell them not to put me forward and go with 2nd agent.

What should I do?

1) the problem here is, they may say you're too late regardless if they have or not.

2) ensure that they ARE putting you forward.

I'd go with option 2

HTH

Comment

What should I do?
          2 is very unethical, but so tempting. I'm not sure what I would do

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What should I do?
            TBH I would be more concerned about getting my CV in front of the client than the rate at the moment. Tell the 1st you've been approached by "someone else" they'll more likely put your CV across if they know they've got a sniff of a margin.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

No such thing as "unethical" for me in the current climate EO. I'd do whatever was required to get the gig and the rate I wanted

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

If your CV hasn't gone over then what the problem? It's in your interest to seek the highest rate.
                I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Second may just be trying to get your CV off the market while they pimp their No.1 choice to end client and offering you a much higher rate to get you to withdraw your CV from the first lot.

I would get the first lot to send you CV and tell the second lot job sounds almost identical to another one and can they check with end client to see if your CV has been submitted.

Hopefully that way if the first lot don't decide to pass your CV across second lot will. If the first lot get you the gig you can always try and up the rate. Once interviewed and accepted you have a reasonable amount of bargaining power although bear in mind first lot may have punted you to end client cheaper than second lot, and second lot may have been making the rate up to get you to pull your CV as stated above. Either way it's worth trying to get a bit more.

You could of course call the first lot and say another agency is offering a much higher rate for the same role and can they match it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                    If your CV hasn't gone over then what the problem? It's in your interest to seek the highest rate.
                    I agree and its a huge difference in rate. I dont want my CV to appear twice on the clients desk so I'm inclined to go with agent 2 and tell agent 1 that I want to withdraw..

Comment

Working...
                    X