• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the Data Protection Act request thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BN66 - the Data Protection Act request thread

Hi all,

I've set up this thread with the intention of starting a campaign to submit Data Protection Act requests (DPA) to the Revenue. The letter writing campaign to our MPs is starting to have an effect, and I think here we can make an even bigger difference, so I really want everyone to get involved.

The reasons for this campaign are two-fold:

1. To obtain all information that HMRC holds on us with the intention that they may slip up and provide us with vital information. It also provides a record of your file at this moment in time, so the Revenue cannot add anything that has been backdated and claim it was always there. If I had thought of this before, I would have done it a lot earlier. Then I wouldnt have received a "backdated" enquiry letter into a closed tax return.

2. The unfortunate side effect of completely overwhelming HMRC with a mountain of correspondence and paperwork. Obviously this is not our intention, so just to let you know, I am really sorry MrYouKnowWho (TM) and it obviously has nothing to do with the "newsletter" you sent to us all

The first post will act as a placeholder and I'll add further information as it becomes available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What can I submit a DPA request for?

Any information held by the Revenue about yourself. HMRC can refuse to disclose information that may prejudice their case, otherwise they have no reason not to honour the request. If in doubt send the request in anyway and let the Revenue spend their time deciding whether or not it can be honoured. You have nothing to lose.

What happens if the Revenue don't reply?

Data Protection Act requests must be honoured within a 40 calendar (not working) day deadline by law, however HMRC seem to show contempt for this. You should follow up your requests with reminders and telephone calls.
    I will be providing names and telephone numbers of people to follow up to in due course. There is also the Information Commisioner whom you may complain to if HMRC do not provide a satisfactory response.

Is there a fee for making the DPA request?

No.

What information should I submit a DPA request for

Lets make it easy for HMRC and just request your entire file. The pages should be numbered so you can detect any gaps. You might be suprised what you read as there could be personal comments written by the investigating officers.

Do it online

For the terminally lazy here's a link to submit a DPA request online:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortform...ww.hmrc.gov.uk

Firstly you'll need your tax reference which can be found on your self assesment statement in the top right corner and also your national insurance number.

Part "A" is quite straightforward.

In part "B", tick the "Income Tax" box as it relates to your self assesment.

For part "C", you shouldn't have to give any specific details, but if you want to put "all electronic and written information held in my name" then do so. Or if you want to be clever, try requesting something more obscure

Links:

Here's a link to an article on accounting web where the author has requested his file many times:

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-b...1019&id=182254

Interesting excerpt from the article:
    "What do you get? Well in my case just about everything - the pages were numbered so I could quickly detect any gaps. The information was excruciatingly embarrassing for HMRC with the investigating officer admitting that the case was not a big one and a senior officer saying that he wanted it closed down ASAP."

This is a link to the HMRC guide for submitting DPA requests:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/dp-fs1.htm#5

Specific Cases

I am currently disputing a closure notice for a year that neither I nor Montpelier received an enquiry letter. HMRC subsequently produced an enquiry notice that I believe was backdated. As far as I am concerned, this is not good enough. I would have to produce evidence that I posted my tax return if it did not arrive in time, so why not the other way round!!!

So aswell as asking HMRC for my file, I have written to them requesting proof of postage and proof that the enquiry letter was sent. Currently, HMRC are 56 days late in responding to my request which is frankly illegal!

Also, a very important point to note:
    If I have to later argue in court that I didn't receive an enquiry notice for the disputed tax year, I will have a file of letters that show Mr YouKnowWho (TM) does not have proof it had been sent.

This brings me to my next point:

What do to if your DPA request is not honoured within 40 calendar days

If you have not received the requested information within 40 calendar (not business) days, the next stage is to write a letter to the Revenue reminding them they have missed their deadline and are breaking the law.

If no reasonable reply is received soon after or you are told its in the post/sent by carrier pidgeon/arriving by donkey, your next step is to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. Again, for you armchair complainers out there, there's a web link:

https://forms.ico.gov.uk/data-protection-complaint.aspx

The blurb on the website states "First, tell the organisation concerned and give it an opportunity to put things right". OK, so you've obviously done that with your letter above.

When you fill in the form, add the initial and followup letters with the "Add Supporting Documents". Also scanned letters of replies will be helpful. I accused HMRC of backdating enquiry letters and got a really nice rude reply back, so I used that as proof they had received my DPA request

How to get definitive proof of whether a tax year was put under enquiry within the allowed time

Special thanks go to the user "bollox" for this one.

Request a document entitled "View Compliance Summary", reference number 'CMP001B'.

Also request the 'View Compliance History' which has a ref of 'CMP006B' . This has dates for opening and closing of each enquiry, its also has the case owner.

I have requested these documents now, so wil be interesting to see what I get.

Poll now added, so please update it when you have fired off a DPA request.

Thanks and may the force be with you!

Santa

P.S. MORE TO BE ADDED LATER
    Yes
    96.15%
    AndyW is Mr YouKnowWho in disguise
    3.85%
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 30 May 2009, 00:01.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

submitted my SAR, should keep them busy for a bit! :-)

Comment

How about adding a Poll:

1) I have submitted a DPA request
      2) andyw

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        submitted my SAR, should keep them busy for a bit! :-)
        Excellent!

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        How about adding a Poll:

1) I have submitted a DPA request
        2) andyw
        Sounds like a good idea. Is there any way of adding a poll to this thread? If not I'll start a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          Sounds like a good idea. Is there any way of adding a poll to this thread? If not I'll start a new one.
          Yes but I can't remember exactly how you do it.

I think there might be an option in Thread Tools (above).

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Yes but I can't remember exactly how you do it.

I think there might be an option in Thread Tools (above).
            Done!

Comment

Silly Question Time

Santa - silly question (forms are not my forte - I don't work for the government) but should I be ticking 'Other' in part B and then adding that I require all written and oral info in part C?

I take it we need to include our tax reference number as well? (I never have mine to hand so it might be worth adding a section on your front page on 'what you will need before you start the process')

Good work
              Fog
              Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fog View Post
                Santa - silly question (forms are not my forte - I don't work for the government) but should I be ticking 'Other' in part B and then adding that I require all written and oral info in part C?

I take it we need to include our tax reference number as well? (I never have mine to hand so it might be worth adding a section on your front page on 'what you will need before you start the process')

Good work
                Fog
                Hi Fog,

Thanks for your support.

I would tick the "Income tax" box as it relates to self assesment. I dont know if they can provide "Oral" info unless conversations were recorded. Probbaly best to leave that section blank.

The tax reference will be on your self assesment statement. Have amended the first post accordingly.

Cheers!

Santa

Comment

Great andyw option

AFAIK you can submit a data protection request every 40 days : is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Great andyw option

AFAIK you can submit a data protection request every 40 days : is that correct?
                    Hi Brillo

I know the legal deadline for them to respond is 40 days.
                    Would have thought you could submit as many requests as you want.

Comment

Working...
                    X