• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK address for mail and credit cards if you are moving abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK address for mail and credit cards if you are moving abroad

In the near future I am thinking of selling up in Britain but would like to keep a postal address here in the UK so that any postal correspondance with things such as bank current accounts / credit card companies is maintained.

Now I could use my the address of my two remaining British members of my family (I also have an uncle but he is unreliable), HOWEVER, the thought suddenly occured to me if those two members of my family were to die and their homes sold off how could I obtain a postal address in the UK mainland which would be acceptable to UK banks and credit card companies (for my existing accounts/cards in the UK) ??

I don't fancy renting a shoe box in Peckham and have mail piled up there, is there no service in the UK which in a way poses as a postal address and then forwards any mail received in the UK to your real address in mainland Europe ? (of course they will charge for this). Is this even legal to do ??

Try Mailboxesetc

I had one of them in the past. The do forwarding abroad.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Try Mailboxesetc

I had one of them in the past. The do forwarding abroad.
      But will your UK credit card company / bank send mail to this address even if you request them to do so ? I mean will they refuse point blank ?

Comment

Your (mailbox) address will look like:

Flat 123,
        69 Rue de remark
        Mytown
        Andywshire
        A1 9AB

Make the change on-line and they wont care.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          Your (mailbox) address will look like:

Flat 123,
          69 Rue de remark
          Mytown
          Andywshire
          A1 9AB

Make the change on-line and they wont care.
          Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Say, Hairy a*sed bloke do I know you ? did you work for an IT media company in Soho back in the mid 1990s ??

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
            Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Say, Hairy a*sed bloke do I know you ? did you work for an IT media company in Soho back in the mid 1990s ??
            Nope, I'm a ([n] ex-) City boy.

Comment

the royal mail do a redirect from your last address for a yearly fee

don't know how the price compares to that mailboxes one though

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                the royal mail do a redirect from your last address for a yearly fee

don't know how the price compares to that mailboxes one though

I looked the Royal mail one up. Apparently the royal mail only does the post redirection service for up to a max. of 2 years and of course they don't do signed for items or special delivery items (i.e. send them abroad to your new address).

Don't like the 2 year limit.

Comment

Some banks - e.g. First Direct - will allow you to retain your account after you've moved overseas.

I have a UK bank account with them, and a UK credit card.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

'I looked the Royal mail one up. Apparently the royal mail only does the post redirection service for up to a max. of 2 years and of course they don't do signed for items or special delivery items (i.e. send them abroad to your new address).

Don't like the 2 year limit.'

no wonder they're always making a loss if they don't have the commercial sense to see opportunities for business

I wonder what cretin made the 2 year rule and no signed for items

dipsticks deserve to go bust

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X