• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar Doom 2012 Apocalypse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Doom 2012 Apocalypse

This thread is perfect for the doom-lovers who might need futher material to fret over - granted that the Andromeda collision might be a wee bit too distant at 3.5 Billion years (altough I was worrying about that last night - why doesnt the Government DO something for crying out loud ?)

Enjoy.

Wired Science News for Your Neurons The 2012 Apocalypse —
    And How to Stop It
    By Brandon Keim April 17, 2009

For scary speculation about the end of civilization in 2012, people usually turn to followers of cryptic Mayan prophecy, not scientists. But that’s exactly what a group of NASA-assembled researchers described in a chilling report issued earlier this year on the destructive potential of solar storms.

Entitled "Severe Space Weather Events — Understanding Societal and Economic Impacts," it describes the consequences of solar flares unleashing waves of energy that could disrupt Earth’s magnetic field, overwhelming high-voltage transformers with vast electrical currents and short-circuiting energy grids. Such a catastrophe would cost the United States "$1 trillion to $2 trillion in the first year," concluded the panel, and "full recovery could take 4 to 10 years." That would, of course, be just a fraction of global damages.

Good-bye, civilization.

Worse yet, the next period of intense solar activity is expected in 2012, and coincides with the presence of an unusually large hole in Earth’s geomagnetic shield. But the report received relatively little attention, perhaps because of 2012’s supernatural connotations. Mayan astronomers supposedly predicted that 2012 would mark the calamitous "birth of a new era."

Whether the Mayans were on to something, or this is all just a chilling coincidence, won’t be known for several years. But according to Lawrence Joseph, author of "Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization’s End," "I’ve been following this topic for almost five years, and it wasn’t until the report came out that this really began to freak me out."

Full Doom here http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/2012storms
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 April 2009, 08:16.

I'm too scared of Global Warming to worry about anything else. I mean imagine the Earth 0.1 deg C warmer in 500 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      This was in New Scientist the other week...

The sun is suspiciously quiet at the moment too...

When that fat old sun in the sky is falling
      Summer evenin' birds are calling
      Summer's Sunday and a year
      The sound of music in my ears
      Distant bells
      New mown grass smells so sweet
      By the river holding hands
      Roll me up and lay me down

And if you see
      Don't make a sound
      Pick your feet up off the ground
      And if you hear as the warm night falls
      The silver sound from a time so strange
      Sing to me

Comment

End of the world - long predicted for 2012:

http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm

Those Aztecs and Mayans hey? Now what happened to them?
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Will this be before or after the Olympics?
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            End of the world - long predicted for 2012:

http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm

Those Aztecs and Mayans hey? Now what happened to them?
            Did they succumb to some kind of flu?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
              Will this be before or after the Olympics?
              After, unless the swines get us before that.

Comment

Working...
              X