• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting a flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting a flat

What do you guys do when working away? My accountant is suggesting either a B&B or renting a flat but only claiming say 66%? Is that rigt considering I still have to pay the bills at home as my family are living there?

I have done both.

When in B&B I take 100% as expenses. When in a flat it comes out of my own pocket. I don't understand the reasoning behindcharging 66%.

Comment

You could always move the family to the B&B and rent your Gaf out

Comment

Is it not a legit business expense? I have a home and pay the bills and would only be renting a flat to allow me to do my job. As it's 110 miles from where I live, I would be saving £55 a day in mileage costs!

Comment

You can claim back expenses for a rented flat, but you can't claim for weekends. For quality of life, and your own sanity on a long-term contract, a rented flat is the way to go. Did 2 months in a B&B and ended up a borderline alcoholic shut-in. :-)

Comment

Are you therefore saying that I can only claim back 4/7 of the rent because it includes weekend? Even if the monthly rent is cheaper than B&B over the month or the mileage?

Comment

Depends on what you like. I have negotiated with hotels and B&Bs for a suite long term. It's just like a flat except it gets cleaned regularly, never runs out of beer in the fridge, etc..

I've only done flats 3 times and each time was a bit of a pain getting deposits back, also registering with the local council, unregistering when leaving, arguing when you moved in and when you left blah blah blæah

Accountant liked B&B & hotel bills, they could be claimed. I liked them because of the reduction in stress and paperwork (time wasted on which swiftly adds up at my rate).

So all in all, flats are more expensive and a pain.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

hold on - let me get this right - your a contractor ? Buy a place, when the contract is finished, rent it out..........get your firm to buy th place, hold it as an assit.........or you buy it, get the company to rent it of you......
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
                  Are you therefore saying that I can only claim back 4/7 of the rent because it includes weekend? Even if the monthly rent is cheaper than B&B over the month or the mileage?
                  You can claim 5/7 if you travel back at weekends. Sunday night to Thursday night. If you want to go the B&B route, then your expenses per month will be much higher, but which will reduce your liabilty for PAYE (talking as a brolly user, here).

Never have sat down and worked out the differences in liabilities. Perhaps I should. Reducing your tax liabilty by paying £1000 a month out of your pocket for B&Bs, compared to paying £400 a month sharing a house, of which you can only claim 5/7 of. Any maths wizards help?

Comment

Don't laugh......

Is a mobile home an option?

Comment

Working...
                    X