• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripper Hoax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripper Hoax

BBC Story

A man is continuing to be questioned in connection with hoax letters and a tape sent to police during the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper nearly 30 years ago.
    Yet before it was said that:
    any efforts to catch "Wearside Jack" were officially abandoned in September 2003, with police saying they would be unable to prosecute any suspect because of the time that had elapsed.
    So why are they suddenly so confident?

Originally posted by voron
    BBC Story

So why are they suddenly so confident?
    Someone in Scotland yard probabaly watched an episode of Frost and remembered that his job wasn't all about dishing out Traffic fines and annoying Ethnic groups?

Comment

How the hell did they catch him this long after the event?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Advances in DNA testing, viz: amplification. Probably got something off the back of one of the stamps.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Advances in DNA testing, viz: amplification. Probably got something off the back of one of the stamps.
          Either that or someone finally decided to tip off the police. Perhaps an ex partner looking for revenge?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Why has this country not got a statute of limitations?
            This has reminded me of the Jonathan King case. I don't know whether King is guilty or innocent, and if he is guilty then he can go to hell, but the case has always troubled me. I didn't follow it in great detail so perhaps I missed something, but it struck me that he was found guilty on little more than the victim's allegations. I don't care about Jonathan King, but it does worry me that a person can decide to make an allegation dating back over thirty years and to be convicted on zero evidence.
            If that is true then everyone on this board is at mercy of fate. What is to prevent an old flame or colleague deciding to invent a story against you?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Indeed.

And the police actually go trawling for scrotes to fit people up... see the number of people accused of child abuse in children's homes... some would be guilty, but a lot were just fitted up.
              Which brings us back to the new police powers to combat terrorism. As I said before, given the current climate we are all one false allegation away from a ruined life.

Comment

Wake up and smell the coffee!
                If a girl gets up the duff, and says it was you, who do you think has to prove it?
                And I don't think the tests are 100% it would only prove you could be the Father not that you arn't.

Or so I have heard.........

Comment

Steve'O, that's a relatively simple matter, as there is clear evidence; a baby. But what if that girl comes forward and says Uncle Tom touched her twenty years ago or raped her five years ago? It might be true, it might be false, but how can it be proved? It's simply one person's word against another.
                  If Sally has always disliked Uncle Tom (say he didn't lend her the £5k she needs) and decides to tell police he abused her as a child in order to exact revenge, that's a terrible way to destroy a person's life. Increasingly we are seeing the burden of evidence shift. It's a worrying trend.

Comment

Originally posted by voron
                    Steve'O, that's a relatively simple matter, as there is clear evidence; a baby. But what if that girl comes forward and says Uncle Tom touched her twenty years ago or raped her five years ago? It might be true, it might be false, but how can it be proved? It's simply one person's word against another.
                    If Sally has always disliked Uncle Tom (say he didn't lend her the £5k she needs) and decides to tell police he abused her as a child in order to exact revenge, that's a terrible way to destroy a person's life. Increasingly we are seeing the burden of evidence shift. It's a worrying trend.

Clear evidence?? Am i responsible for all the Clear evidences in this country?
                    I think we are talking about the same thing here. Just 'cos she's got something to touch, dosn't mean Uncle Tom touched it......

Comment

Working...
                    X