• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now they do tax too far.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now they do tax too far.

I was sufficiently inspired by a comment on the thread about tax in Belgium that I have copied the good bit here:

Originally posted by oldtimerron View Post
    You're sitting in front of a computer, with the skills in your head, and that computer could be anywhere, and the skills travel with you. You don't need Belgium. By hanging around you're setting yourselves up for years of misery that you just don't need. You deserve better and you can get it elsewhere.

You don't need lenient treatment from Belgium, you need normal treatment from one of the many other countries in Europe. Belgium is the country with the tax problem, the highest in Europe by far, not you.
    Well noted.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I was sufficiently inspired by a comment on the thread about tax in Belgium that I have copied the good bit here:

Well noted.
    The key to avoiding tax in Belgium is firstly not to be Belgian, and to live there if you work somewhere else, as do many Dutch business owners or to work there if you live somewhere else, like Euro MPs (who don’t actually work, they just go out for dinner in Brussels’ many fine restaurants). Whatever you do, don’t make Boris Johnson’s mistake. Poor Boris’s kids have Belgian nationality; they were born in Belgium to parents born outside the UK, and jus sanguinis nationality only extends to one generation under UK law. So having probably received the best schooling and university education, they’ll be resigned to paying Belgian taxes for life instead of enjoying their high income. Poor blighters.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
    X