• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractors getting slagged off by permies after they leave their contract,references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contractors getting slagged off by permies after they leave their contract,references

what do u do when as a contractors you get slagged off by permies after you leave the client ? It aint good for references no doubt and they have the ear of the manager after you leave

It happens alot, mainly out of spite and jealously, u getting paid twice relative to pemies, having the freedom to go out on the market jobless in a legit way really gets their goat and not having the ear of the manager after you leave can be a problem ....

what is your opinion on this ? how do u deal with it ?

Stop sending them Christmas Cards, and if you see em in a dark alley, give em a good kicking!

Comment

maybe if you get on with the permies it wouldn't happen

Milan.

Comment

excellent, on your last day explain to them how u love to 'torture your victims' in your French Smurf dark dungeon of shame !

that will really deter them !

Comment

hey milan I do get on with the permies, its just that I don't trust all of them and I certainly don't trsut the new manager...

Comment

Originally posted by messiah
            hey milan I do get on with the permies, its just that I don't trust all of them and I certainly don't trsut the new manager...
            I wouldnt worry too much about this, as a contractor Ive never had to bother with references , though I have supplied Agents wih leads which is another matter altogether.

Providing you are not marched off the premise dont let the jealousy pettiniess of the permies world bother you, their opinon has little impact and that is why they have such a sorry lot in this life.

In fact I have known contractors who have been marched off the premise, in one case as a result of a corporate sacrifice due to a clanger made by a Perm Network guy, and then got another contract without any bother, you see it all boils down to supply and demand.

A Man who gets tied down to his job ...he gives the world its saddest sound

Comment

And permies have an annoying way of forgetting everything you have ever done.

One solution is to use friends for references. Fortunately I've worked with friends in the past, so I know I can get a good and reliable reference. I do have a couple of permie references, but it's always a gamble.

Comment

Messiah,

keep your friends close but your enemies closer

Milan.

Comment

In truth no matter how nice you are to the permies there will always be someone who dislikes you. Its the same with the managers, some people appreciate that extra that you bring to the project and others despise you because they depend on you or basically the money.

Be as nice and as helpful to everyone as you can. Don't ever let yourself be dragged into talking about money/income with permies. Work hard and be reliable but above all don't be arrogant (give respect where its due).

Then you can only say you did your best and anyone who still dislikes you must be a lost cause.

You are never going to be able to fix the world's ills so stick to what you can fix, the client code, and move on.

I generally find you will be liked in the majority but there will always be someone who will harbour resentment.

Keep in contact with those you impressed, especially in management as they often end up at another client somewhere down the road and that will mean an almost guaranteed gig for you.

Post script : I once had a permie I was working with who put my name on source files he had written (badly) in order to drag my name through the mud 4 years down the line with management!!! The levels to which some will sink.

Comment

was that a Klingon saying or was it said in The Young Sherlock Holmes film ?

or was it in Y.S.H "Revenge is a dish best served cold"....... or was it in Wrath of Ghane.

Messiah in 'Get a Life , Get a wife' mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X