• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's gem of a job ad...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's gem of a job ad...

Aww bless! How old do you think the person who put this ad together is that they still hold A-level results to be an important factor.

I'm tempted to email back enquiring whether an A, B and two Cs is equal to three Bs or if it would rule me out of contention.

IT Technical Services Manager / IT Infrastructure / Manchester

Salary: £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits
    Company: Circle Recruitment
    Job type: Permanent
    Date posted: 27/04/2009 18:11:37

IT Technical Services Manager / IT Infrastructure / MCSE / Manchester / Cheshire

IT Technical Services Manager with an extensive IT infrastructure and IT Consultancy experience is required by a blue chip South Manchester / Cheshire organisation. You should have extensive experience working in high level of IT technical roles, ideally with experience of IT Consultancy, management experience and have the proven track record of working in a complex and diverse IT infrastructure. You should also have experience of ideally Microsoft, Cisco and Oracle technologies

On top of the relevant experience you must have come from an excellent education background, at least 3 B's at A level and BSc Honours degree or higher in a related degree.

This is a fantastic role for a leading blue chip media organisation that...........
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

....or that I took A'Levels back in the day when they actually meant something, and were difficult to pass?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your advertisement in my local newspaper seeking an ICT Manager.

Due to the huge number of opportunities open to people with my highly rated skill set and first class education I shall not be taking your vacancy into further consideration, but shall file your vacancy for consideration should I ever suffer a serious brain haemorrhage or the loss of decorum associated with the later stages of syphilis.

Yours faithfully

Mich the Tester
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I saw a technical architect role like this a few weeks ago. It required A levels in particular subjects & grades, at least a 2:1 degree from a redbrick university, and a Phd was an advantage.

Found out who the company was, and it was set up by a couple of academics, both with phd's.

The only people in the professional world who seem to value phds are people also with phds. For most people I know who did one, it was just another spin of the university wheel and actually set them back 3 years in career progression.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
          Aww bless! How old do you think the person who put this ad together is that they still hold A-level results to be an important factor.

I'm tempted to email back enquiring whether an A, B and two Cs is equal to three Bs or if it would rule me out of contention.
          Or how sad it is that there are universities that take students who can't rustle up 3 Bs at A-level, and give them science honours degrees?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Or how sad it is that there are universities that take students who can't rustle up 3 Bs at A-level, and give them science honours degrees?
            Oi! A levels used to be difficult (for three year olds).

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              I saw a technical architect role like this a few weeks ago. It required A levels in particular subjects & grades, at least a 2:1 degree from a redbrick university, and a Phd was an advantage.

Found out who the company was, and it was set up by a couple of academics, both with phd's.

The only people in the professional world who seem to value phds are people also with phds. For most people I know who did one, it was just another spin of the university wheel and actually set them back 3 years in career progression.
              As opposed to setting your career back by 20+ years by becoming a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Oi! A levels used to be difficult (for three year olds).
                This may be to weed out the muppets with a BA in media studies from ex-technicalcollege university, surely and an A-level in PE?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  As opposed to setting your career back by 20+ years by becoming a contractor?
                  Careers are for permies. Contractors send invoices just as long as is necessary, and then retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    This may be to weed out the muppets with a BA in media studies from ex-technicalcollege university, surely and an A-level in PE?
                    A bit of a roundabout way of doing that; why not just ask them what degree they have and from which university?

Comment

Working...
                    X