• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a domain already registered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a domain already registered

If you come across a domain you want and find it is already hosting a page that has clearly been put up 10 years ago and forgotten about, can you get it somehow?

I found one which simply has a blank "under construction" page dated 2000. Is there any system whereby domains can be automatically recycled? Of course for a site in use, I could actually buy the domain but in a case like this, it might be impossible to trace the owner - they most likely have moved house and no longer use the same email or mobile phone number etc.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Have you already performed a WHOIS on the domain to get details of the owner? It makes sense to try contacting them this way before exploring any other options.

Comment

Deposit 60000 euros in my Nigerian bank account and you can have mine.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Guy must still be paying the annual domain registeration so yeah check
        whois first, or see if it's listed on http://www.sedo.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If you come across a domain you want and find it is already hosting a page that has clearly been put up 10 years ago and forgotten about, can you get it somehow?

I found one which simply has a blank "under construction" page dated 2000. Is there any system whereby domains can be automatically recycled? Of course for a site in use, I could actually buy the domain but in a case like this, it might be impossible to trace the owner - they most likely have moved house and no longer use the same email or mobile phone number etc.
          Automatically recycled under what circumstances? Should there be a time limit on using the domain to host a web site that you find worthwhile? What you describe is a domain that is in use, to host a web site. The fact that you think that the use is worthless is irrelevant. If you license your car every year, but never seem to drive it anywhere, can I take it off you?

Anyway, there are other uses for a domain, all legitimate. For example, it may be used for email only (this is quite common, I have such a domain). And indeed the entire .net space was intended for internal internet use, not for web sites.

Comment

Who's in the bidding for www.minceur.net then?
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Automatically recycled under what circumstances? Should there be a time limit on using the domain to host a web site that you find worthwhile? What you describe is a domain that is in use, to host a web site. The fact that you think that the use is worthless is irrelevant. If you license your car every year, but never seem to drive it anywhere, can I take it off you?
              I didn't claim any kind of 'right answer' I just asked a question. I'd forgotten that domains automatically expire if not paid for, I was picturing unused and forgotten domains piling up with no way of reclaiming them for active use.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can try using services that will register domain if it expires, chances ain't very good however - better think if some word combination that has not been used yet as domain name and market it to create your own unique brand.

SKA is following this path pretty successfully but I'll keep the details of it until official SKA News post...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  until official SKA News post...
                  We'll all be dead by then

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    We'll all be dead by then
                    That schweine flu might interfere with the Grand Plan for sure

Comment

Working...
                    X