• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed!!

Had an interview today and was offered the gig 30 mins later .

Starting Thursday, so that gives me a total bench time of 1 month which I'm quite chuffed with. Things seem to be looking up (mind you it's the lowest rate I've had for the past 5 years, but work is work).

I shall be having a celebratory boomed tipple later I think .

Nice one well done
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Congratulations. Happy invoicing to you!

Don't worry too much about the rate as long as it's not unfeasibly low. Everything from houses to cars to holidays to fine wines is getting cheaper anyway. Deflation's not bad as long as you're in work and you're still getting a couple of percent on your savings.

Mind you, 'cheapness always ends in negligence and depravation' so it's not always going to be good news.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Congrats!!!
        If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

To be fair the work looks to be fairly interesting and it's still not a bad rate so I'm happy. Will hopefully give me the opportunity to expand my skill set a little bit more as well and give me a couple more buzz words to slap on the old resume.

The most annoying part is that it is a 5-10 min walk from where I used to live a couple of years ago, which is now a 2 hour trek in rush hour . Why don't the local ones ever turn up when you are local hey?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            To be fair the work looks to be fairly interesting and it's still not a bad rate so I'm happy. Will hopefully give me the opportunity to expand my skill set a little bit more as well and give me a couple more buzz words to slap on the old resume.

The most annoying part is that it is a 5-10 min walk from where I used to live a couple of years ago, which is now a 2 hour trek in rush hour . Why don't the local ones ever turn up when you are local hey?
            My rate is 30% less than 18 months ago but I'm still earning more than twice as much as the permies so I'm not about to complain.

Comment

I'm at a 15% drop at the moment, but still a hell of a lot more than a permie, but more importantly it will pay the bills so no real complaints here

Comment

Well done. Enjoy the month!!
                I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Congratulations. Happy invoicing to you!

Don't worry too much about the rate as long as it's not unfeasibly low. Everything from houses to cars to holidays to fine wines is getting cheaper anyway. Deflation's not bad as long as you're in work and you're still getting a couple of percent on your savings.

Mind you, 'cheapness always ends in negligence and depravation' so it's not always going to be good news.
                  Actually my house is not getting cheaper. This year, what I paid for it when I bought it has not budged a penny from what last year I had paid for it. It still has cost me now the same as it had cost me last year, or the year before. I expect that next year it will still have cost me the same....

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Actually my house is not getting cheaper. This year, what I paid for it when I bought it has not budged a penny from what last year I had paid for it. It still has cost me now the same as it had cost me last year, or the year before. I expect that next year it will still have cost me the same....
                    Cheer up you grumpy old expat. A different house is getting cheaper. Well it isn't because you'll get less for your house, but never mind. I don't want to waste my life talking about house prices as if I was some member of the English middle classes.

Comment

Working...
                    X