• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you be discriminated against because of experience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you be discriminated against because of experience?

Hi All,
    I'm not as clued up on the age discrimination laws as I should, so was hoping someone here had a view.

Just had a call with a recruiter for a role that was right up my alley. Job specification was a perfect fit, rate was just a tad less than I'm on now, term length was good, and above all, it was for the Beeb.

However, after reviewing my CV, the recruiter said I was not suitable because I had "too much experience", and that the BBC only wanted candidates with up to 7 years experience in the field (I happen to have 9+). I thought this was a polite way of getting me to go away, so I reiterated that I was capable of delivering what the specification said, I did not consider myself too senior, was quite eager to do things that the spec stated, and that I would jump at the chance to work for the Beeb, and hey, its only 15 min from my house as well!

But no, she kept coming back and saying that the BBC specified they did not want anyone with more than 7 years experience.

So what do you guys think? Is this an example of age discrimination? At this point, I don't care about the role, but if they are breaking the law I think there should be a way for me to file a complaint...

Thoughts?

Originally posted by gdm View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm not as clued up on the age discrimination laws as I should, so was hoping someone here had a view.

Just had a call with a recruiter for a role that was right up my alley. Job specification was a perfect fit, rate was just a tad less than I'm on now, term length was good, and above all, it was for the Beeb.

However, after reviewing my CV, the recruiter said I was not suitable because I had "too much experience", and that the BBC only wanted candidates with up to 7 years experience in the field (I happen to have 9+). I thought this was a polite way of getting me to go away, so I reiterated that I was capable of delivering what the specification said, I did not consider myself too senior, was quite eager to do things that the spec stated, and that I would jump at the chance to work for the Beeb, and hey, its only 15 min from my house as well!

But no, she kept coming back and saying that the BBC specified they did not want anyone with more than 7 years experience.

So what do you guys think? Is this an example of age discrimination? At this point, I don't care about the role, but if they are breaking the law I think there should be a way for me to file a complaint...

Thoughts?
    Don't quote me on this as I'm no expert (try asking on a law forum perhaps?) but it doesn't sound like age discrimination to me since they're specifying experience. Why they would do this though is anyones guess, it just sounds plain wrong to not want experience, especially for contract work...more is better.
    Maybe the person who is requesting the resource has 7 years experience and wants to defend their turf??

Comment

Hi All,

Thoughts?
      If it was a job picking peanuts, or corn niblets out of steaming turds, I would say - contest it.
      As it is for the beeb, I say, thank your lucky stars and run like fck

not for worldwide by any chance ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You can perfectly legally discriminate against anybody where there is no legislation to prevent it.

There is some Age Discriminiation Legislation and if you could establish that the 'n' years experience can only be obtained by a certain age, thus disqualifying older applicants then you might have a chance (though it does seem very unlikely.....).

Ideally you should try and ensure that the relevant requirements could never be met by a one legged muslim irish lesbian then you've got loads of different potential complaints.

Comment

Could you apply through another agency with a suitably doctored CV showing only 6.5 years experience?

P.S. sounds like age discrimination to me but impossible to prove. According to a Despatches documentary I saw "too much experience / too senior / over qualified" are all code words for "too old"

Comment

The beeb have a whole website/area dedicated to freelancers going either direct or via an agency. Have you looked at the information there regarding policies etc?

Would like to think a public corporation funded by mandatory license fees has some kind of equal opportunities / tendering policy.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've looked as well and the legislation doesn't mention a thing about experience, just age. I suppose it would be tough to prove.

Just annoying as f*** that a role I am qualified and happy to do is out of my reach because of some arbitrary limitation set by a tax-funded body....

Heck I'm only 36, I suppose this will only get worse from here on out!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've looked as well and the legislation doesn't mention a thing about experience, just age. I suppose it would be tough to prove.

Just annoying as f*** that a role I am qualified and happy to do is out of my reach because of some arbitrary limitation set by a tax-funded body....

Heck I'm only 36, I suppose this will only get worse from here on out!
                Thje more beliigernt amongst us might submit a slighlty different - but still accurate CV that magically lost a few years of experience and age.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  ....that the relevant requirements could never be met by a one legged muslim irish lesbian ....

only

This is the BBC after all.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Permy or Contract role?

There is no discrimination legislation for business to business contracts.

If it's a permy role - wrong forum.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                    X