• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ageing mother dragged back to gulag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ageing mother dragged back to gulag

Social workers snatch elderly mother

A woman who removed her elderly mother from a care home amid worries over her health was shocked to see police and social workers on her doorstep with a battering ram ready to snatch her back.

Rosalind Figg was concerned about the treatment her elderly mother was receiving and took her home to look after her personally.

But social workers in Coventry disagreed with her actions and used a little-known power to take her back.

They obtained an emergency warrant from magistrates under the Mental Health Act on the grounds that a "person believed to be suffering from a mental disorder is being ill treated and neglected".

Two days later they turned up at Mrs Figg's Keresley home with police in tow as back up.

Mrs Figg was forced to hand over her distraught 86-year-old mother Betty who was wheeled to a car with a blanket over her head and returned to Butts Croft House.
    Strike off a nurse for whistleblowing. Kidnap 86-year-old by force. I'm going to get myself some pills before I get old in this country.

Strike off a nurse for whistleblowing. Kidnap 86-year-old by force. I'm going to get myself some pills before I get old in this country.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

I read in a medical periodical that there is a movement amongst some practice nurses to start discussing euthanasia.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

We don't know the FULL story here. Just becuase your family members want to look after you doesn't necessarily mean that they are able to do so.

Has anyone asked what the 86 year old wanted.

Comment

You don't know what GULAG is (or was), so don't mention it.

Comment

Working...
        X