• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No wonder kids are so fat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder kids are so fat

I picked my son up from school 30 minutes before school ended. There were cars parked all round the school. I had to park 200 yards away. Each car had someone in readng book or on phone.

Theparents/guardians get there super early to reserve the best spot!!

Some people are so f**king lazy!

I would ban parking within 1 mile of any school between 8am/10am and 2pm/5pm. Offenders to have car crushed.

I might add that only used the car to take son to doctors appointment. Every other day the kids walk to/from school. And we live one of the furthest from school.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I picked my son up from school 30 minutes before school ended. There were cars parked all round the school. I had to park 200 yards away. Each car had someone in readng book or on phone.

I would ban parking within 1 mile of any school between 8am/10am and 2pm/5pm. Offenders to have car crushed.

I might add that only used the car to take son to doctors appointment. Every other day the kids walk to/from school. And we live one of the furthest from school.
    I got chatting to a fellow from the German athletics union a couple of weeks ago on the train. I asked him what he thought was going wrong with European athletics, seeing as the 2008 Olympics was the worst year ever for the big European athletics nations (GB, although they did well in cycling, France, Germany and Italy used to dominate track and field together). He said that it’s difficult enough to get young kids to start athletics but when they do start they are often simply less fit and fast than 9 or 10 year olds twenty years ago. I asked him if that’s just his memory (you know, rose coloured spectacles and all that), but he told me he had all the data on times at different distances and weight of the kids and could only explain the problem in terms of the lack of exercise at an early age, one thing being that kids don’t walk or run to school and back anymore. Once someone’s got that disadvantage at 10 years old it’s very difficult to turn him into a top athlete at 20.

We then exchanged ideas for a future ‘Westerners Only Olympics’ to be held in 20 years time. The 100 metre walk while eating hamburger, the 400 metre texting competition, the low jump, throwing the ping pong ball, heavyweight happy slapping etc were some of our ideas.

So take heart in the chance that your son might actually compete in the real Olympics.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Mich posted : So take heart in the chance that your son might actually compete in the real Olympics.
      I doubt it somehow, given our Government's desire to ban competitive sports from schools, on the basis that it creates a two-tier system of winners and losers.

We'll end up with a Olympic Winners Day where all the kiddiwinkles get given a gold medal, because everyone comes first by default.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I would ban parking within 1 mile of any school between 8am/10am and 2pm/5pm. Offenders to have car crushed with fat brat inside.

A school near us is parked up like a free festival every weekday afternoon. Terrible traffic jams, have to drive 200yds on wrong side of road, etc. Must be quite dangerous for pedestrians but I suppose the kids are rushed straight to the car (or SUV) like the US President in the care of a nervous Secret Service. I asked OH how big the catchment area was and was staggered to find that all those kids come from just round the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          A school near us is parked up like a free festival every weekday afternoon. Terrible traffic jams, have to drive 200yds on wrong side of road, etc. Must be quite dangerous for pedestrians but I suppose the kids are rushed straight to the car (or SUV) like the US President in the care of a nervous Secret Service. I asked OH how big the catchment area was and was staggered to find that all those kids come from just round the corner.
          Why do people do this? Have they been scared by the media into thinking there’s a child molester lurking around every corner?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

We have a similar situation at Pogle Jr's school, cars double parked on a small residential street, when there is a free supermarket carpark 3 minutes walk away.
            Pogle Jr always has, and always will walk to and from school - rain or shine. It is actually quicker to walk than go by car due to the school, being on one of the main routes from the M60 to the city centre.
            We often get to school walking before our neighbours who drive in, yet lwe both leave at the same time!
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Do kids still cycle to school? Or is it too dangerous for kids to cycle to school now?

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                I doubt it somehow, given our Government's desire to ban competitive sports from schools, on the basis that it creates a two-tier system of winners and losers.

We'll end up with a Olympic Winners Day where all the kiddiwinkles get given a gold medal, because everyone comes first by default.
                Please tell me you're joking. Where did you hear that? If that's true I might just have to punch a Labour politician.

Comment

Turning up later will not make your kids any fitter. Hypocrite alert !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    Turning up later will not make your kids any fitter. Hypocrite alert !!
                    Oi Cybertwat! If you read the OP properly and had an understanding of English you'd understand how much <more> of a pillock you've just made yourself out to be.

Collecting for an appointment and just picking your kids up from school are two very different things.

Comment

Working...
                    X