• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax question

Hi all!

I recently started contracting and have set myself up as a limited company.

I was just wondering whether anyone knows roughly how much tax I will have to pay if I earn 30k over the course of 6 months and then am planning to take a 6 month break from work) i.e. earn 30k in total over 12 months?

Thanks

Blaine.

What do you mean? African or European?
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by Blaine34 View Post
      Hi all!

I was just wondering whether anyone knows roughly how much tax I will have to pay if I earn 30k over the course of 6 months and then am planning to take a 6 month break from work) i.e. earn 30k in total over 12 months?

Thanks

Blaine.
      What's this limited company thing you speak of?
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Here's a starter, winging it as I type: more or less worst-case, take it from there.

Bill 30k. Assume 1k expenses for accountant etc, nothing else.

29k. Assume inside IR35, pay all as payroll to yourself (no other income). 29000 payroll, take off 12.8% Employer's NIC (12.8% of result after taking it off, IYSWIM): 25709.

Enter that into http://calculator.contractoruk.com/ in the "Permanent Employees" field. Result:

On a salary of £25,709, net income per month is £1,638

Then play around with the calculator.

Note (discussion welcomed on this): ISTM that if you are a Director of your Ltd Co, then you will pay NICs as if you worked for the whole year (albeit on the correct amount of income), whereas if you are only an employee then you will pay NICs on the income only in the months when salary is paid. So if there is some safe way of not being a director, it might pay.
        Last edited by expat; 29 April 2009, 08:05.

Comment

Blaine - try http://calculator.contractoruk.com/ instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaine34 View Post
            Hi all!

Thanks

Blaine.
            Step 1 get tulip hot accountant.
            Step 2 get contract vetted for IR35 (Try joining the PCG and get a discounted review from Accountax)
            Step 3 get agency to amend contract based on the review so it is outside IR35.
            Step 4 Look up the word dividend on wikipedia.

HTH
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Step 1 get tulip hot accountant.
                Step 2 get contract vetted for IR35 (Try joining the PCG and get a discounted review from Accountax)
                Step 3 get agency to amend contract based on the review so it is outside IR35.
                Step 4 Look up the word dividend on wikipedia.

HTH
                You forgot the icky goo stage
                Originally posted by cailin maith
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Working...
                X