• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK homes to receive swine flu leaflets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK homes to receive swine flu leaflets

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8023977.stm

What a complete waste of money.

Sure we need to make sure people know the risks and how to deal with the situation. But what about television, radio, local news and signs in shop windows ?
    Maybe there are people that don't have a TV, radio or ever go out of their homes. But if so, they'll be just fine

I can see this being a major disaster as the people handling the leaflets or working in the print works will probably have swine flu, and if they don't then the post man will do.

Surely in this modern age we have a better way to disseminate information than destroying more trees and potentially assisting the spread of swine flu

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Surely in this modern age we have a better way to disseminate information than destroying more trees ...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      Surely in this modern age we have a better way to disseminate information than destroying more trees and potentially assisting the spread of swine flu
      The virus should be allowed to spread IMO. It is a mild form of a new strain of virus and people should catch it. There might be fatalities of course, as flu has and will always be a big killer.

Comment

Another cr@p populist measure from Gordo just so he can get on the telly - which we'll all be watching, because the leaflet will say "stay indoors and watch the telly" - and say "I am Super Gordon and I am firmly dealing with the swine flu threat by sending everyone pieces of paper".

Agree with OP, I'd be curious to know what all this is going to cost, I may even go so far as trying to find out under the freedom of information thingy!
        Last edited by moorfield; 29 April 2009, 08:17.

Comment

Gordon’s obviously been advised that this presents a second chance to save the world.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Don't forget the fact that the leaflet will be translated into umpteen bloody languages!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              The virus should be allowed to spread IMO. It is a mild form of a new strain of virus and people should catch it. There might be fatalities of course, as flu has and will always be a big killer.
              I think this is secretly what the govt is hoping for, this is why the US tossed it over the fence from Area 51 into Mexico. Should deal nicely with that demographic timebomb and free up the jobs for the yoofs of today and tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                Another cr@p populist measure from Gordo just so he can get on the telly - which we'll all be watching, because the leaflet wil say "stay indoors and watch the telly" - and say "I am Super Gordon and I am firmly dealing with the swine flu threat by sending everyone pieces of paper".

Agree with OP, I'd be curious to know what all this is going to cost, I may even go so far as trying to find out under the freedom of information thingy!
                Spending billions on the next to useless Tamiflu and will probably end up an executive on some pharma's board of directors.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  The scary part is that is probably has spread far beyond what we believe so far.

Looking at the timeline of events from the beeb, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021547.stm, it looks like mexico was seeing cases in mid-march. If thats true then its highly unlikely it has only just spread to other countries over the last 3 days. It could have been here for a month already.

Comment

Where the flip do the Government, councils, NHS, banks and utilities expect us to store all these informational leaflets they constantly ply us with?

Virtually every one that comes through my door just goes straight in the green bin because I simply don't have anywhere to put it. There must be a better way.

Comment

Working...
                    X