• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

A serious one for a change...

My father in law recently retired, and has embraced retirement with gusto. He bought a computer (big step for him), I set it up for him and he set about writing a book he'd wanted to for years. All fine and dandy.

However, over the last year, his memory has deteriorated rapidly. When he first started forgetting (quite important) things, I had a quiet word with him. He agreed with me that it was a problem, and I said there's medication the GP can prescribe nowadays that can tackle this depending on the diagnosis - and that it was important to get treated early, as (if it's) Alzhiemer's, early treatment can prolong a patient's useful cognitive life for many years. He seemed to agree this was sensible.

He's one of those 'don't see a GP unless your arm's falling off, and even then, try a band-aid first' types, and has put the GP thing off. We've gently approached the topic once or twice since then, but only gently. All the while, it has become progressively worse, and his decline is accelerating by the week.

Today, he visited Mrs RH and was interested in the new bikes we had, said they were lovely and all that, asked why we got them etc. Problem is, he did exactly the same 2 days ago. Today he said this was the first time he'd seen them. Mrs RH brought up the memory loss on the back of this - he got upset and said 'he doesn't want to know, it's just the way it is and he doesn't want to see a doctor' and wants it left that 'if we notice anything else, he doesn't want it mentioning, and doesn't want to know about drugs etc'.

This change in his attitude is disturbing. On the one hand, I'm inclined to say 'well, it's his life and his perogative. If he doesn't want treatment then fair enough, he's his own man'. On the other, in the light of his desire to write, the extra years treatment could give him to do this, and the (selfish motive alert) longer he can remain cogent to be around us, see his potential grandchildren, and not be a (really selfish motive alert, for which I feel guilty) care burden on the family.

What would you do? Just leave it?

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Your thoughts appreciated.

RH

What age is he?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Stick a daily aspirin in his tea. There is evidence that aspirin can help to reduce the effects of Alzheimers.

Comment

He's 71 this year. But fit for his age, looks like he's in his 60s. Used to be a farmer.

Comment

I would say that his refusal is based on fear of the inevitable.

My suggestion would be to get some leaflets and additional info from the doc for him to read on the subject.

Comment

As a parent you have the authority to make decisions on your childrens' behalf. Does the same apply to your parents when they become ill and old? It's essentially the "can I put my dad in a home" argument but in different circumstances... and it comes down to how your family dynamic works I'd say.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Something similar happened with my father in law, you will need to speak with his GP and let him advise you. In his current state, he really doesn't have a say in his own healthcare. GP will asses his current state and all you can do is take it from there.

Good Luck
              Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                A serious one for a change...

My father in law recently retired, and has embraced retirement with gusto. He bought a computer (big step for him), I set it up for him and he set about writing a book he'd wanted to for years. All fine and dandy.

However, over the last year, his memory has deteriorated rapidly. When he first started forgetting (quite important) things, I had a quiet word with him. He agreed with me that it was a problem, and I said there's medication the GP can prescribe nowadays that can tackle this depending on the diagnosis - and that it was important to get treated early, as (if it's) Alzhiemer's, early treatment can prolong a patient's useful cognitive life for many years. He seemed to agree this was sensible.

He's one of those 'don't see a GP unless your arm's falling off, and even then, try a band-aid first' types, and has put the GP thing off. We've gently approached the topic once or twice since then, but only gently. All the while, it has become progressively worse, and his decline is accelerating by the week.

Today, he visited Mrs RH and was interested in the new bikes we had, said they were lovely and all that, asked why we got them etc. Problem is, he did exactly the same 2 days ago. Today he said this was the first time he'd seen them. Mrs RH brought up the memory loss on the back of this - he got upset and said 'he doesn't want to know, it's just the way it is and he doesn't want to see a doctor' and wants it left that 'if we notice anything else, he doesn't want it mentioning, and doesn't want to know about drugs etc'.

This change in his attitude is disturbing. On the one hand, I'm inclined to say 'well, it's his life and his perogative. If he doesn't want treatment then fair enough, he's his own man'. On the other, in the light of his desire to write, the extra years treatment could give him to do this, and the (selfish motive alert) longer he can remain cogent to be around us, see his potential grandchildren, and not be a (really selfish motive alert, for which I feel guilty) care burden on the family.

What would you do? Just leave it?

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Your thoughts appreciated.

RH
                He needs to go and see a quack, suggest that you or wife go along.

Don't leave it as it will only get worse.

Comment

My old man is completely nuts..but he has been for as long as I can remember so it's not old age / senility..he's just a basket case who doesn't remember anything anyone says to him.
                  Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    He's 71 this year. But fit for his age, looks like he's in his 60s. Used to be a farmer.
                    Trouble with farmers is the only doctor they trust is the vet. You perhaps need to get some advice for yourself; www.alzheimers.org.uk have a helpline. Mrs Tester has worked as a psychogeriatric nurse with dementia sufferers and their families for 20 years. She says that firstly it might not be dementia, but IF it is then this denial behaviour is very normal. It's up to his family to help him now, but you need expert advice as to how to talk to him about it; many people have been before you so the professionals should know how to approach this.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X