• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reasonably serious one…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reasonably serious one…

My mum’s in her mid sixties and retired a few years ago. She was a university lecturer; highly intelligent and accustomed to dealing with all sorts of young people, in fact she enjoyed being with young people in her work and never once complained about kids with funny coloured hair or weirdo piercings and rude t-shirts. All part of being young as she saw it. However, the last couple of years I’ve noticed she’s getting a bit cranky. She expresses some very right-winged opinions about yoofs, Asians, queens and so on, and I mean the kind of opinions that would have got you thrown out of the tory party even in Enoch’s days.

Is this evidence that she’s losing it? Or is it just because she’s retired, middle class, drinks a lot of chardonnay and reads the Daily Wail every day?

Anyone else with suspicions their parents are starting to lose it?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is this evidence that she’s losing it? No
    Or is it just because she’s retired, middle class, drinks a lot of chardonnay and reads the Daily Wail every day? Yes
    HTH
    Last edited by Pondlife; 29 April 2009, 11:47.

Comment

A perfectly natural reaction of being freed from the political correctness of the classroom now allows her to express her bottled up true feelings.

Much the same as:
      Generals retiring and then saying the Iraq war was pointless
      Government ministers retiring and saying the school system is a shambles
      Home Secretaries retiring and then saying ID cards aren't such a good idea after all.

No on has the balls to stand up and object at the time when they can actually do something about it
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        My mum’s in her mid sixties and retired a few years ago. She was a university lecturer; highly intelligent and accustomed to dealing with all sorts of young people, in fact she enjoyed being with young people in her work and never once complained about kids with funny coloured hair or weirdo piercings and rude t-shirts. All part of being young as she saw it. However, the last couple of years I’ve noticed she’s getting a bit cranky. She expresses some very right-winged opinions about yoofs, Asians, queens and so on, and I mean the kind of opinions that would have got you thrown out of the tory party even in Enoch’s days.

Is this evidence that she’s losing it? Or is it just because she’s retired, middle class, drinks a lot of chardonnay and reads the Daily Wail every day?

Anyone else with suspicions their parents are starting to lose it?
        Yes, it comes with retirement. Mine retired a few months ago and she is exactly like you describe - nobody else is allowed an opinion seemingly unless they match hers......

Comment

I think over a certain age you consider any comments contrary to yours as impudence.

Whenever I talke exception or point out to my Mother (a former communist) an error in her thinking the conversation will go something like ..

Alf 'How can you possibly support Communism when Stalin killed more people than -'

Alfs Mum Alf - Shutup.

Alf 'But - you cant ...'

Alfs Mum I said - Shutup . Go and tidy your room now.
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 April 2009, 11:55.

Comment

Deffo the daily mail.

Do her a favour and buy her some subscriptions to a few more left of facist publications.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              I think over a certain age you consider any comments contrary to yours as impudence.

Whenever I talke exception or point out to my Mother (a former communist) an error in her thinking the conversation will go something like ..

Alf 'How can you possibly support Communism when Stalin killed more people than -'

Alfs Mum Alf - Shutup.

Alf 'But - you cant ...'

Alfs Mum I said - Shutup . Go and tidy your room now.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                Deffo the daily mail.

Do her a favour and buy her some subscriptions to a few more left of facist publications.
                I try to set an example by taking The Times with me when I visit, but she thinks it's a horrid leftist rag.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  A perfectly natural reaction of being freed from the political correctness of the classroom now allows her to express her bottled up true feelings.
                  That's probably not far from the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

Much the same as:
                    Generals retiring and then saying the Iraq war was pointless
                    Government ministers retiring and saying the school system is a shambles
                    Home Secretaries retiring and then saying ID cards aren't such a good idea after all.

No on has the balls to stand up and object at the time when they can actually do something about it
                    Yes, she's tried hard all these years because she is really intelligent, humane, and liberal. But she has now had enough of PC. Me too.

Comment

Working...
                    X