• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown loses Gurkha vote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown loses Gurkha vote

Just in on the beeb

Yeah unfortunately not binding ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

So about as useful as a CUK poll then.

Comment

....but embarassing for Crash Brown, Jacqui 'Does Dallas' Smith et al. Lets hope they do the decent thing !

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
          Lets hope they do the decent thing !
          Commit harakiri? No chance, they'd run this country into the ground first...

Comment

Am I the only one opposed to an automatic right of all Ghurkas to retire here?

"They fought for our country etc." Actually, they got paid for a job they chose to do because by the standards of Nepal it provided a darn good living. Now, although some have served for as little as fifteen years, they are to receive the same NHS care and state pension in old age as British soldiers although most of the money they received did not stay in Britain to stimulate our economy but went to Nepal. In all that large number I am betting there are going to be some undesirables, criminals etc and it is right to treat this on a case by case basis.

The arrangement is an anachronism that should be ended. Pay British troops.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Pay British troops.
              That should happen to, unfortunately there are not enough ground forces (or money in the budget): Ghurkas are high quality soldiers that have long history of loyalty, to betray them for the same of not giving out 20k passports is crazy strategy.

UK should follow proven path of France with Foreign Legion - anyone who fights well for this country for 5 years + should get citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                UK should follow proven path of France with Foreign Legion - anyone who fights well for this country for 5 years + should get citizenship.
                Did you do your 5 years?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Did you do your 5 years?
                  In October this year it will be 5 years since I started working on SKA...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Am I the only one opposed to an automatic right of all Ghurkas to retire here?
                    Not quite. CyberGit agrees with you.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X