• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Future of IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of IT

Do you think the UK IT industry will be revived by the Tories, i.e. they will clamp down on unlimited immigration, fast track wheezers and outsourcing? Or are we working in a doomed industry that is destined to go East whichever party comes into power?
    IT will boom under the Tories
    40.00%
    It will be even more doomed under the Tories
    32.50%
    AndyW was fast-tracked out of CUK
    27.50%

I don't accept the premise of your question.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

UK IT industry will continue to be a 'plug the boxes together' operation.

So from the perspective of someone who does write 'new' software, there isn't really much of an industry in the UK, unless you count in 'assembling from kits'.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The IT industry has long been doomed to mediocrity.

The best day of IT are long gone (think year 2000).

Its a bit like asking if the UK car industry could be revived under the next government.

Real rates of pay continue to decline year on year. And are down 50% since year 2000 i reckon.

I was earning 600+ a day back in 2000, i reckon that would be about 800 in todays money, but today i would be lucky to get a role paying 400 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
          Its a bit like asking if the UK car industry could be revived under the next government..
          Labour did to IT what the Tories (allegedly) did to UK car manufacturing?

Comment

It's not me I worry about so much as what my kids are going to do. There are not going to be any jobs for them that don't come with fries - and only then if they have a degree.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I don't think it is that bad.

Yes there will be less jobs for code moneys, however there will always be a need for advanced developers that can translate business requirements into a workable system.

We may get to a stage in the future where we are putting blocks together, rather than writing lots of code. However there will always be a need for pieces of code that glue these systems together, and do the complex bits that can't be done visually.
              Originally posted by cailin maith
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                The best day of IT are long gone (think year 2000).
                Isn't it ironic that the best day in IT according to you was about fixing bugs caused by said IT operation, but only at huge rate due to time pressure (quiet literally)?

At the end of 1999 I was making £7 an hour in UK IT and was pretty chuffed about it - after that I got proper job

Comment

There's a UK IT industry? Aren't the existing shops just fronts for development in India..or development by Indians on work permits.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Tories will scrap many public sector IT projects. I'm still going to vote Tory of course, even though I work in public sector IT.

On the other hand the Tories will (possibly) crack down on visas and in general will support science and technology start ups. So overall I think it will be a neutral experience under the Conservatives.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X