• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pathetic...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathetic...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-poverty.html

Why pathetic.

They succeeded at eliminating poverty in at least one home. His home.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Quite a lot of people are obscenely overpaid though, aren't they? This guy actually does a decent job which generates work and funds for people living in poverty around the world, but he's somehow worse than all those moneygrabbers that often end up causing poverty??

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        Quite a lot of people are obscenely overpaid though, aren't they? This guy actually does a decent job which generates work and funds for people living in poverty around the world, but he's somehow worse than all those moneygrabbers that often end up causing poverty??
        He's not doing a decent job though. He has made lots of money for the company, but has invested in the wrong countries, and hasn't made any change to poverty.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Private Eye have been running a campaign about CDC for a while.

Comment

"But a DFID spokesman insisted it had been good value for money and that its executives' pay was being closely tied to performance."

So looks like the DFID are well paid too.

How do I get on this gravy train?

Comment

The Beeb have this also

"The salary of CDC Group chief executive Richard Laing rose from £383,000 in 2003 to £970,000 in 2007, the Commons Public Accounts committee found. "

How the hell did he manage that? He was already on 32k a month but managed to get it bumped up to a mere 81k a month. Good effort that man.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Why is there a government organisation addressing world poverty at all?

Food aid alone simply increases the population and makes a worse problem down the line. Without the organisation in the countries concerned, even apparently more long term help achieves nothing. Look at all the money spent to provide wells in Africa, most of them are allowed to fall in disrepair.

Not saying we should forget about the third world but anything organised here will produce no long term improvement. The governments concerned must find and drive the solutions. The best role we can have is to selectively provide aid to those, like Uganda, who are making effective measures to help themselves and encourage them by trade.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I understood that the organisation in question (CDC Group) invested money in businesses in poorer countries, allowing them to start up or expand, employ a local workforce, export goods... and return profit on the original investment. In other words, doing exactly what most people feel should be done. But I only read that in the paper, so it might be completely untrue.

Comment

Working...
                  X