• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative Careers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative Careers

A few years ago, many senior people in IT who were reaching retirement, would give it all up and open a Post Office (frequently mentioned in Computer Weekly during the 90's).

If you had made your stash through contracting, and money no longer mattered, e.g. you could cover the basics until retirement age, what alternative careers would you consider?
    Last edited by ancient; 19 October 2005, 18:38.

we've discussed this subject to death between 2001-2003, but since then the market improved and gradually plan B has been dropped !!

But I always wanted to have my own hotel, inspired by Fawlty Towers

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
      A few years ago, many senior people in IT who were reaching retirement, would give it all up and open a Post Office (frequently mentioned in Computer Weekly during the 90's).

If you had made your stash through contracting, and money no longer mattered, e.g. you could cover the basics until retirement age, what alternative careers would you consider?
      I've made enough to buy a house, and don't 'need' to work hard any more. But as to what to do ... well most jobs are tulipe aren't they? I've thought about teaching, but you can't hit the brats anymore, so where's the fun? Police? Well these days you have to take part in Gay Pride marches and flagelate yourself with Birch twigs while saying "I'm not a nasty racist" so that's out. Accounting? Too exciting. Research? No jobs.

The job for me is one that involves doing very little apart from what I want to do. I think I'll apply to be Michael Winner's understudy.

Fungus

Comment

Alternative career ? Try here ...

http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.html

Comment

Working...
        X