• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance

When you gain basic security clearance, do you get anything to keep to prove it for future contracts like an ID card/certificate?

No. The rules appear to change according to whoever you talk to, but in principle it can lapse after 6 months and you have to apply again with all the 3 references for 2 years crap. That said, my current place wanted clearance and I said I had it at xxx 18 months ago and they said fine we'll write to them and confirm it. Not heard since so I assume they did. Why they would give clearance to somebody who regularly posts that he wants to insert kitchen mincing appliances up the PM's arse I have no idea.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by anthonychipp
      When you gain basic security clearance, do you get anything to keep to prove it for future contracts like an ID card/certificate?
      Not from my experience.

try:

http://www.mod.uk/dva/faqs.htm#A1

or:

Should none of these questions address your particular query, please e-mail the Agency for advice on: [email protected] or ring the Customer Help Desk on 01904-662644

Some government Departments (other than MOD) have their own procedures and associated Help Desks for vetting issues.

Vettings can be transferred if they are current (within one year?).

Comment

PS Russians. If you would like some secrets regarding Britain's nuclear deterrent I woukd be very happy to supply them in return for the services of a nice blonde. Please make it FEMALE!!! I think the requirements got a bit garbled the last time. Waste not, want not I suppose!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've never seen any form of certification confirming security clearance. Normally the details are held on the sponsoring department's system. Anyone wishing to verify your clearance has to speak to the department.

My understanding is that it lapses if it isn't "used" for 12 months. Which means I have 6 months left

Comment

Originally posted by voron
            I've never seen any form of certification confirming security clearance. Normally the details are held on the sponsoring department's system. Anyone wishing to verify your clearance has to speak to the department.

My understanding is that it lapses if it isn't "used" for 12 months. Which means I have 6 months left
            There is a York telephone number for a certain department that can verify your clearance.

Comment

I got a letter with all my details and a reference number for my SC clearance. It took about 3 months to come through.

Comment

My clearance took six months (dodgy background) and likewise I received a reference number.

It will lapse next year but it will live on my CV for a few years yet.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Out of curiosity what types of checks are done to get SC? I presume of course it also depends on what level.

Joe in "I've got nothing to hide" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                    Out of curiosity what types of checks are done to get SC? I presume of course it also depends on what level.

Joe in "I've got nothing to hide" mode.
                    SC is a 'level' of vetting.

http://www.mod.uk/dva/faqs.htm
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X