• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They Fsck You Up...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They Fsck You Up...

A judge has quoted Philip Larkin's famous poem This Be The Verse in a ruling concerning a custody battle:

They fuck you up, your mum and dad
    They may not mean to, but they do
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself.

Given that General is normally a place where we concern ourselves with happiness and joy, I feel it behoves me to point everybody towards Adrian Mitchell's alternative take on Larkin's sentiments:

They tuck you up, your Mum and Dad
    They read you Peter Rabbit, too.
    They give you all the treats they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

They were tucked up when they were small,
    (Pink perfume, blue tobacco-smoke),
    By those whose kiss healed any fall,
    Whose laughter doubled any joke.

Man hands on happiness to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    So love your parents all you can
    And have some cheerful kids yourself.

Note to the moderators: Once again, I deliberately circumvent the naughty words filter in the name of Art. I'm sure you wouldn't want it to bowdlerise Larkin's work though

They dont f**k you up as much as family court judges do.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      They dont f**k you up as much as family court judges do.
      Riiiight.

Cause that's thier job isn't it - they're out to fck you up, and if it wasn't for them every family would be living happily ever after ... I don't know your circumstances BP, but I'm assuming your missus is quite happy to go along with a whatever ruling there was so maybe it's not their fault ...
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        Riiiight.

Cause that's thier job isn't it - they're out to fck you up, and if it wasn't for them every family would be living happily ever after ... I don't know your circumstances BP, but I'm assuming your missus is quite happy to go along with a whatever ruling there was so maybe it's not their fault ...
        Shes even unhappier than you.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Shes even unhappier than you.
          I imagine many many many people are ...
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
          X