• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Privacy watchdog snarls at NHS data losses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Privacy watchdog snarls at NHS data losses

Again

Hospitals are absolutely abysmal when it comes to data security. They used to throw records into unsupervised taxis between them before before the digital age and complained bitterly then security was added during NPfIT rollout.

Consultants and nurses were as bad as each other. Consultants used to hand their passwords to any passing PA as they often didn't deign to touch a computer unless it was 'sexy' (digital x-rays), and nurses used have a communal security card that was always lying around the desk. I might have wept when I saw what was going on.

Healthcare staff really don't understand the concept of Data Protection. They are past masters at making life as easy as possible regarding computing...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Healthcare staff really don't understand the concept of Data Protection. They are past masters at making life as easy as possible regarding computing...
    isn't computing supposed to make life easier and not harder?

Comment

Hospitals should focus on making their patients healthy again quick: that should be their top priority.

It is far more worrying that in some hospitals some nurses were killing elderly patients and nobody noticed (or cared!). Or that hospital in Staffordshire where lots of people died due to poor conditions - now that's important, al that security malarkley is the result of poor IT design in the first place.

Comment

My wife used to work in a NHS hospital where all the secretarial staff were sacked and the typing was outsourced abroad. All the patient's notes were encrypted and emailed to be typed up remotely then sent back. Of course because of privacy issues, none of the patient's names were sent, the notes were linked to code numbers and then matched back up when the notes came back. Spot the weak link in the chain? How long before someone died because the numbers were matched up incorrectly? Answer; Not very long.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Here's a question. If you had an innovative idea that used software that you were familiar with and could code it yourself in your spare time, would you give it to the NHS gratis or would you squeeze the feckers for every last £ you could get?

(Note: I'm in a similar position at the moment myself).

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            If you had an innovative idea that used software that you were familiar with and could code it yourself in your spare time, would you give it to the NHS gratis or would you squeeze the flipers for every last £ you could get?
            If you need to answer that question I would suggest you work out how much money you have paid in NI over the years as this is supposed to go to the NHS to pay for your treatment.

When you've done that, you should now know how much money you have therefore already given the NHS. You really want to now give them your services free too?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              My wife used to work in a NHS hospital where all the secretarial staff were sacked and the typing was outsourced abroad. All the patient's notes were encrypted and emailed to be typed up remotely then sent back.
              What's the point in typing them up in an email, for the outsourced people to then type them up again? Wouldn't that just result in the hiring of someone to type up the emails for them to be typed up into the system?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                isn't computing supposed to make life easier and not harder?

No, its to create jobs for forty year old men with beards who live at home with their mothers
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
                  What's the point in typing them up in an email, for the outsourced people to then type them up again? Wouldn't that just result in the hiring of someone to type up the emails for them to be typed up into the system?
                  You appear to have spotted the slight flaw in that particular Urban Myth!

Comment

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
                    They were sent as encrypted sound files from the consultant's dictaphones. They had a machine where they just plugged them in and the notes were sent automatically.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X