• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does a dissolved Co. still need to complete EAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a dissolved Co. still need to complete EAR

My company was finally would up in February this year.

Question is ... do I sill need to complete an Employers Annual Return for the YE 2009?

I would have thought not but you never blinkin know these days. The reason I ask this is because my old accountant has sent me a letter requesting the details ... hopefully in error ... but i can't get hold of him now until Tuesday.

Thanks.

Originally posted by moraghan View Post
    My company was finally would up in February this year.

Question is ... do I sill need to complete an Employers Annual Return for the YE 2009?

I would have thought not but you never blinkin know these days. The reason I ask this is because my old accountant has sent me a letter requesting the details ... hopefully in error ... but i can't get hold of him now until Tuesday.

Thanks.

I presume you have your answer by now. If the Co does not exist you don't have to do one. A quick call to tell them this should suffice. Your accountant should have dealt with this together with winding up the company at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Little'Old Me View Post
      I presume you have your answer by now. If the Co does not exist you don't have to do one. A quick call to tell them this should suffice. Your accountant should have dealt with this together with winding up the company at the time.
      Your luck is obviously better than mine.

I have notified then in writing 5 times, by phone > 10 times. All to no avail. I get penalty notices every year (I think the last one was for 3,200). Buy, hey I just ignore the lot of course. It's not like they've got anybody to prosecute....

Mind you, it is getting slightly better. After about 1 year they did stop sending the assorted monthly paye reminders.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Your luck is obviously better than mine.

I have notified then in writing 5 times, by phone > 10 times. All to no avail. I get penalty notices every year (I think the last one was for 3,200). Buy, hey I just ignore the lot of course. It's not like they've got anybody to prosecute....

Mind you, it is getting slightly better. After about 1 year they did stop sending the assorted monthly paye reminders.
        I had the same problem a couple of years ago. In the end I wrote a letter of complaint and sent the HMRC a bill for my time. They wanted proof that the bill had been paid by my client (who of course hadn't) and when I pointed out that it was for wasting my time - they refused to pay. But it did finally stop the paperwork.

I now attend my local HMRC Working Together group, and I have been told it no longer happens!

Now if we bring up a "problem" we have to establish if its local (unique to one client or just our practice) or National - where a number of Agents have the same problem effecting a number of clients. The problem is not many agents will tell each other about their problems, or if they have the same problem, they will not mention it because they think they don't have to as some one else will! The HMRC in the meantime just treat everything a local problem so they are only solved at a local level and Nationally nothing is corrected.

Comment

Working...
        X