• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brook Street - Lowering Standards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brook Street - Lowering Standards

Some noddies in government are clearly handing out contract roles to BS, honestly believing that they can get someone with all the skills and experience for £15 p/h. Even on my Burger King rate I laugh at such offers.

Is their meddling likely to spell bad news for contracting, or will it blow away when reality dawns. Whatever the outcome, it's taking the p1ss.

I have regularly seen 'web' related contracts on jobswerve by BS on behalf of MS. They were looking for a XBox Marketing Manager for the whole of EMEA for £19!

It's all a load of BS on behalf of MS. Wouldn't be surprised if the agent has got PMS!

So sir, did you want fries with that?

Comment

Hmm, can't say I've ever come across an ad by BS in the IT sector or does operating a cash-till count??

Care to post an example...

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
        I have regularly seen 'web' related contracts on jobswerve by BS on behalf of MS. They were looking for a XBox Marketing Manager for the whole of EMEA for £19!

It's all a load of BS on behalf of MS. Wouldn't be surprised if the agent has got PMS!

So sir, did you want fries with that?
        You cant buck the Market.

I all boils down to supply and demand, if there are candidates who perhaps have been out of work and are happy to accept that rate to rejoin the labour market then fine.

On the other hand ,if there are insufficent candidates then the rate will have to increase accordingly to attract suitable candidates.

Simple.

Comment

If thats your idea of how the markets meant to work then its not the one I know.

I reckon we should start bumping off some of these people to get the market back to how it really should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
            If thats your idea of how the markets meant to work then its not the one I know.

I reckon we should start bumping off some of these people to get the market back to how it really should be.
            Well Jo in fact you have just confrimed my market theory , as I said its all supply and demand, if as you advocate, you bump off the competition ,then there is less supply so ipso facto you get to charge a premuim.

Al Capone understood this market dynamic very well.

Unitl he was caught nobbled for Tax Evasion.

Comment

Ok, lets just call it 'nudging' the market in the direction I want, just like good ol' Al used to do.

By the way its Joe, always has, always will be...otherwise I'll have to have a few friends come round to help you with your spelling...

Comment

One thing you may be missing here is...

An advert is placed on JobSwerve by BS at a "low" rate, no-one applies...

repeat after me...

SKILLS SHORTAGE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                  Ok, lets just call it 'nudging' the market in the direction I want, just like good ol' Al used to do.

By the way its Joe, always has, always will be...otherwise I'll have to have a few friends come round to help you with your spelling...
                  Better watch out Joe , perhaps Brussels aint big enough for the both of us.

Maximum Respect

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 October 2005, 12:20.

Comment

foreign imports

I was talking to a charming foreign lady in the bar last night. She works in IT too. What she really liked about the UK was how easy it had been to get a job in IT. I doubt I'd have such ease getting a job in her homeland. Maybe she's on £19 an hour - but I doubt it. That kind-of skews the supply and demand theory, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                    X