• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat screen TV - advice required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat screen TV - advice required

G'Day

Sometimes google isn't much help.

The missus wants a Flat Screen TV
    Built in Freeview
    Dual channel (so she can watch 1 while recording a different one)
    TV recorder
    DVD player

all in as few boxes as possible

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Why would your wife need a TV?

Surely she is busy enough with cooking, cleaning and shagging? Isn't that what makes women happy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Surely she is busy enough with cooking, cleaning and shagging? Isn't that what makes women happy?

run amok with a cleaver.

Just giving you a woman's perspective - HTH

On the subject of TV's we have all an LG HD ready tv with a built in digital receiver. We also have Sky + and a Panasonic blu ray player.
      This covers everything you require - but of course you may not want SKY. And its in one very large box and two quite small ones.

Picture and sound are very good.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Have a gander at AVForums EO - specifically the Home Entertainment Players and Recorders and Video Electronics sub-forums.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          G'Day

OK, dozens to choose from. The specs are all much the same.

Built in Freeview
          They all have that now.

This function comes with the recorder box, not the TV. Though having a recorder in a separate box will give you this function automatically as each box has its own tuner

TV recorder
          Disk or DVD based? What other features do you want? HD/HDMI/PC connection .... Personally I just bought the cheapest to see what features I missed.

DVD player
          Players from 15 pounds. Just pop down to Tesco and put the special offer in your trolly.

Recorders, see above.

The only way to do this in less then three boxes is to have a combined disk/DVD recorder. But these are more expensive and less capable than two boxes, and if one half goes wrong you'll have to scrap the other half.

I don't think you can get combined TV/DVDs as the profile of the flat screen box is wrong

tim

Comment

G'Day

Built in Freeview
            TV recorder
            DVD player

Yes, boxes, interesting point. There was an incident over here the other day, a stabbing, that was initiated by a spat of jealousy when the perp saw the victim disposing of the box from a new flat screen TV at the council dump.

threaded in "girly tells me of the bizarre crime reports" mode
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Because they cross dress.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You need two boxes to achieve your needs: a TV with integrate Freeview and a hard disk/DVD recorder/player with its own Freeview tuner. You can then record one programme while watching live TV, a recording or a DVD.

Most recorders only have the one Freeview decoder so you can only record one programme at a time. If you think you may need to record two simultaneous programmes you need a box with two decoders. Obvious really but not everyone realise this. Most are used to the Sky arrangement where simultaneous recording is standard.

I recently helped my Mum sort this out and we spent about £800 on Panasonic kit. Not the cheapest but it was bought from the local rural supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                  You need two boxes to achieve your needs: a TV with integrate Freeview and a hard disk/DVD recorder/player with its own Freeview tuner. You can then record one programme while watching live TV, a recording or a DVD.

Most recorders only have the one Freeview decoder so you can only record one programme at a time. If you think you may need to record two simultaneous programmes you need a box with two decoders. Obvious really but not everyone realise this. Most are used to the Sky arrangement where simultaneous recording is standard.

I recently helped my Mum sort this out and we spent about £800 on Panasonic kit. Not the cheapest but it was bought from the local rural supplier.
                  this is what we did. £750

merci

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Or you could go for TV, Sky HD and a a good excuse to get a ps3
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X