• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chines ordered to smoke more, to boost economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chines ordered to smoke more, to boost economy

Article here

The edict, issued by officials in Hubei province in central China, threatens to fine officials who "fail to meet their targets" or are caught smoking rival brands manufactured in neighbouring provinces.

Even local schools have been issued with a smoking quota for teachers, while one village was ordered to purchase 400 cartons of cigarettes a year for its officials, according to the local government's website. ..
    I was thinking the other day. The reason deflation is such a danger, and causes a downward spiral if unchecked, is that when prices start dropping most people postpone purchases in anticipation of prices dropping further. (That must be the main reason the inflation target is set at 2% rather than 0%.)

So if the Government was serious about reducing smoking, wouldn't it make more sense to keep dropping the tax on tobacco, so the price kept falling?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    So if the Government was serious about reducing smoking, wouldn't it make more sense to keep dropping the tax on tobacco, so the price kept falling?
    Eh? Reduction in demand (smoking in this case) is achieved by increasing price which is why taxation is used. Of course Govt knows that demand for products like fuel, smokes, sugar is unelastic so the demand does not really go down, while revenues from taxation go up in a very predictable fashion - that's why all chancellors love this sort of taxes.

Comment

Given the demographic time bomb of all the baby bombers retiring over the next few years claiming their pensions, you would think that they would encourage smoking and drinking to kill people off early.

It would make a lot of economic sense to give unemployed over 50’s free booze and fags. They will never work again and would be cheaper than having them living at the states expense for anything up to another half-century.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        It would make a lot of economic sense to give unemployed

Start WW3 by starting liberation of Chinese lands in Siberia

Comment

People who die of smoking related illnesses rarely just keel over and save the state a pension, it is more often a miserable slow death which costs the country a fortune.

Anyway I don't know any professional person that smokes anymore other than a few when they are pissed, but we all have our own pensions.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            People who die of smoking related illnesses rarely just keel over and save the state a pension, it is more often a miserable slow death which costs the country a fortune.

Anyway I don't know any professional person that smokes anymore other than a few when they are pissed, but we all have our own pensions.
            When I was in hospital recently I discovered that half, or more, of the medical staff were smokers.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Any smoker that purchased their cigarettes from the UK that falls ill from smoking related issues has paid for his/her treatment over and over again in duty.
              Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Eh? Reduction in demand (smoking in this case) is achieved by increasing price which is why taxation is used. Of course Govt knows that demand for products like fuel, smokes, sugar is unelastic so the demand does not really go down, while revenues from taxation go up in a very predictable fashion - that's why all chancellors love this sort of taxes.
                My comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek. But thanks for explaining the joke, in case anyone else missed the smiley or was also baffled.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                X