• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help needed from experienced bikers....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed from experienced bikers....

Im going to do some mountain biking this weekend. Its my first time. Im looking to buy some extra padded comfirtable shorts for bikers. Has anyone got any decent website from where i can order reasonable ones.

Don't bother with the comfy/padded shorts if you're just starting out, as the good ones cost at least £100, and the cheap ones will chafe the insides of your thighs to bits and be ripped off the first time you fall.

For a first timer I'd suggest going for some tough 3/4 trousers and wear the undies you normally find most comfortable. Take a couple or three spare pairs if it's your first time, for those involuntary bowel movements (and if you don't have any you're not doing it right).
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Look for a reputable supplier of indestrutible thighs, hearts and lungs. If you regularly do plenty of road riding this will prepare you some, however off road hill riding will physically feel very different...and is white knuckle on the right terrain. A good helmet and water bottles are essential.
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Thanks guys...

I havent done much road rides lately but have been doing spinning class in gym which may have improved thighs a bit.

Im already taking Water bottle, gloves,helmet and the rucksac with water bladder.

I was just confused about padded shorts, 100 quid will be too expensive as im just a beginner.

I like the idea of not buying any cheaper but I found these links, any of them makes any sense ?

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Mc...244/37835.html

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dh...ts/5360021258/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dh...ts/5360021960/

Comment

That's a bit of a mixed set. The first pair are for a football goal keeper...

The rucksack with water bladder is probably your best piece of protective kit so far.

You'll either lose the water bottle, or it'll be so tight in you can't use it.

Gloves: I use these 100 pairs for £4.99 things from the builders suppliers. I can then just throw them when they get wet or oily and put another pair on.

MTB is seriously more intense than spinning, so try and stay with your mates and don't let them lose you.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

What kind of pansie wears protective kit on a push bike? Did you wear it as a kid? No! So you don't need it now!
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              .. Take a couple or three spare pairs if it's your first time, for those involuntary bowel movements (and if you don't have any you're not doing it right).
              So it's true what they say about professional cyclists not stopping for anything

(No wonder people who cycle to work like to have a shower when they arrive.)
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Don't bother with the comfy/padded shorts if you're just starting out, as the good ones cost at least £100, and the cheap ones will chafe the insides of your thighs to bits and be ripped off the first time you fall.

For a first timer I'd suggest going for some tough 3/4 trousers and wear the undies you normally find most comfortable. Take a couple or three spare pairs if it's your first time, for those involuntary bowel movements (and if you don't have any you're not doing it right).
                Ewwwww
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Eat your heart out Paula Radcliffe!
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

On my last trip i taped bananas to the frame - sounds stupid, looks worse, worked wonders on my ability to keep up with the duracell bunny...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X