• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The State of the Market

Please note, due to the volume of applications, we are unable to contact all applicants personally. If you haven't heard from us within 7 days of application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful.

Location London
    Country England
    Start Date ASAP
    Duration 6 months
    Rate £350-£365/Day
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I can guarantee there's no job and even if there is, it wont be paying £350 pd!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

UK average salary is £24k, let's say £27k total employment cost including employer NI: £350 per day x 20 days per month x 11 months = £77k: 3 times national average and if you take into account disposable income that can be potentially left after unavoidable living costs then the difference might well be 10 times or even more.

Comment

Not sure what your point is: a) Agents not informing unsuccessful applicants, or b) £365 a day in London.

a) Has always happened.
        b) No idea whether £365 is low because we don't know what the contract is. But £365 beats watching Trisha, if that's your only option.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

No mention of what the role is, skillset or industry. It's a stellar rate for first/second line helpdesk support.

Comment

I'll take that for .NET/C# development. I've got 12 years in and it would be working away from home but in my opinion that's not a bad rate at all..more would be better of course but surely anyone can live on that??
            Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              UK average salary is £24k, let's say £27k total employment cost including employer NI: £350 per day x 20 days per month x 11 months = £77k: 3 times national average and if you take into account disposable income that can be potentially left after unavoidable living costs then the difference might well be 10 times or even more.
              "UK average salary is £24k".

Average does not mean median. Hard working people like many on here are on 75-100k and over. People like you are near 0, that's why the average is 24k; because it includes many you and a lot of chavs on the dole. That does not mean that 24k is a "median" salary (perhaps for toilet cleaners).
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post

Average does not mean median. Hard working people like many on here are on 75-100k and over. People like you are near 0, that's why the average is 24k; because it includes many you and a lot of chavs on the dole. That does not mean that 24k is a "median" salary (perhaps for toilet cleaners).
                My salary is 4k and I doubt anyone on here has a salary above 10k.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  My salary is 4k and I doubt anyone on here has a salary above 10k.

If Hector is watching, I earn nothing whatsoever.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post

Nice try but no cigar my italian comrade:

"The results of the 2008 ASHE show that median weekly pay for full-time employees in the UK grew by 4.6 per cent in the year to April 2008 to reach £479. Median earnings of full-time male employees was £521 per week in April 2008; for women the median was £412."

£479 x 52 weeks = ... £24,908.

"The top 10 per cent of the earnings distribution earned more than £946 per week, while the bottom 10 per cent earned less than £262. Between April 2007 and April 2008 the distribution of gross weekly pay widened, with a 3.5 per cent increase at the bottom decile, and a 4.4 per cent increase at the top decile."

Meaning, that 90% earned less than £946 per week or £50k.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

-----

So, even at contractor rate with 11 months of work that rate would put one into top 10% earners in the UK, probably top 5% actually, which means if you whine about this rate you have no touch with reality whatsoever.

My salary for last FY was £6k, SKA ate the rest...
                    Last edited by AtW; 4 May 2009, 21:58.

Comment

Working...
                    X