• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you live on 60 quid a week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you live on 60 quid a week?

Heating, clothing, food?

Yes

Comment

Heating: is minimal (if you is not too old) by clothes wearing. Cost : 0 (see clothing)
      Food: £30 / week is manageable. Will be higher if you are cold (see clothing)
      Clothing: Clothes last ages if you look after them (hard wearing ones indoors, nice ones outdoors): Cost: barely anything.
      Housing: Mortgage/council tax/rent/depreciation/maintenance/etc: £zillions

Comment

I would not call it "living" on £60 a week - barely surviving maybe.

Comment

£60 per week would barely cover my fags, let alone booze and everything else.

In any case, our consumer society makes it even harder to live on peanuts unless you're somehow completely set up already, e.g. as a property owner with no mortgage. But even then you have council tax, and occasional large bills for renovation etc.

I don't see how anyone without all their needs met in some kind of institution or communal/free occupation such as a squat or nursing home could survive on £60 per week in a town. Maybe rural dwellers could if they grow their own food.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Are you talking JSA? (Job Seeker's Allowance)

It is survival money. The whole point is that you find another job and then you can once again afford varied drugs/addictions.

The benefit system (IMHO) is very good. Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit are the two life savers. If you haven't taken on lots of debt (a mortgage is a debt) then these two claimable amounts will keep you going for a long time. There are upper limits obviously, but as long as you live in a property suitable for your needs, it is all covered.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              £60 per week would barely cover my fags, let alone booze and everything else.
              You could smoke Golden Virginia and drink meths.

No?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Heating, clothing, food?
                You guys don't have a family I understand. 60 pounds a week does not even cover the nappies.

p.s. on the other hand if you are a single like atw on pot-noodles perhaps....
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Clothing and food, you could do it. Heating would be the problem, it would be quite easy to freeze to death in a bad winter and very difficult to put anything by in the summer months

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                    You guys don't have a family I understand. 60 pounds a week does not even cover the nappies.

p.s. on the other hand if you are a single like atw on pot-noodles perhaps....
                    Well I think if you're not wokring, you have the time to use terry towelling nappies and wash them.

Cost = zero!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X