• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USA looking at closing tax loopholes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA looking at closing tax loopholes

But for once not targeting the "little guy"

Obama crackdown on tax loopholes

Wonder how long (if ever) until we see the UK following USA in this? Can see this being pretty devastating for the likes of Ireland if it goes though, though still think it would be better if other countys followed the low flat rate with no exceptions/loopholes tax model thus removing the motivation for companies to do this kind of thing in the first place

Though got to wonder at the estimated "extra revenue" recovered figures, say would be more like $210bn per year instead of per decade if done right

Someone might care to correct me on this, but I understand that in the American system your tax exposure is on your total earnings, throughout the World. This would then give another slant to this quote:

In addition, at present US firms are allowed to claim a credit against their American taxes for foreign taxes paid.

But the Obama administration wants to end this practice ...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

"The president said he wanted to "make it easier" for US companies to create jobs at home. "

Some companies will end up moving ALL their operations overseas.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

These laws are always brought in "to tackle the big guys" but are actually used on us little guys because we can't afford the lawyers the big guys use!
        'elf and safety guru

Comment

According to the BBC News this morning (so info is suspect) the US equivalent of corporation tax is 35%. If it is then I'm stunned that any international companies would decide to base there at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            According to the BBC News this morning (so info is suspect) the US equivalent of corporation tax is 35%. If it is then I'm stunned that any international companies would decide to base there at all.
            I think some companies get massive local tax breaks for setting up operations in certain states.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Being close to your market and making sure you don't suffer from "protectionist" import tariffs are a couple of reasons. And there are tax friendly states; Delaware is a favourite for many corporations.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X