• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

long term perm bonus beats day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long term perm bonus beats day rate?

It was pointed out to me today that 800 pounds a day is a short term strategy.

In the long term, if you stick around an investment bank as a permie for 10 years - eventually your bonuses will leave you far richer than if you contracted all that time. IT permies who stick around for 10+ years can be on 100-200K annual bonuses.

So, if in the long run I am better off perm, why bother contracting?

Most contractors don't move around much if they can avoid it, so I don't buy the lifestyle argument.
    Last edited by aussielong; 5 May 2009, 10:39. Reason: spelling

Because who the feck wants to stick around in an IB for 10+ years?
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

[QUOTE=aussielong;833434]
      In the long term, if you stick around an investment bank as a permie for 10 years - eventually your bonuses will leave you far richer than if you contracted all that time. IT permies who stick around for 10+ years can be on 100-200K annual bonuses.

Unemployed after their institution has collapsed.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        It was pointed out to me today that 800 pounds a day is a short term strategy.

So, if in the long run I am better off perm, why bother contracting?

Most contractors don't move around much if they can avoid it, so I don't buy the lifestyle argument.
        It's the pension that makes the difference in the long term. Even the relatively junior people I've worked with over the past 20 years now have decent pensions sorted.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

[QUOTE=b0redom;833440]
          Originally posted by aussielong View Post

Unemployed after their institution has collapsed.
          Good point, except for the minor point that hordes of contractors are also out of work and are only experienced in the IB world.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

did anyone get a bonus this year or expected to get one in the next? performance reviews, extra wank etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              It's the pension that makes the difference in the long term. Even the relatively junior people I've worked with over the past 20 years now have decent pensions sorted.
              Do you mean that if you contract you have more cash earlier. So you can put it into a pension earlier and in the long run compound interest will leave you considerably better off than if you slowly drip feed in cash like a permie would?

Comment

You missed the best option:
                Get a massive salary that beats the average contractor income PLUS all the benefits.

HTH
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

£800 a day is nearly £200K a year. The contractor makes £2m gross in ten years.

Meanwhile the permie makes £200K bonus after ten years' hard service.

Contractor has retired to the sun to enjoy the fruits of their labour, and the permie is only just starting to earn their wad.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You missed the best option:
                    Get a massive salary that beats the average contractor income PLUS all the benefits.

HTH
                    I can't beat 800 pound a day as a permie programmer.

Can you SAS?

Comment

Working...
                    X