• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London to Paris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London to Paris

So I have been conned into doing this cycle ride in September for charity. It's around 330 miles in 4 days worth of cycling. First day is nearly 100 miles and if you don't catch the Ferry on time it's game over . Given that I presently don't own a bicycle is this madness or can I do it? Any suggestions (smartass or otherise) welcome.

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    So I have been conned into doing this cycle ride in September for charity. It's around 330 miles in 4 days worth of cycling. First day is nearly 100 miles and if you don't catch the Ferry on time it's game over . Given that I presently don't own a bicycle is this madness or can I do it? Any suggestions (smartass or otherise) welcome.
    Tip 1: Get a bike.

Comment

Why don't you fall off and break a leg in the first 5 minutes. Then it will be London to plaster of Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Tip 1: Get a bike.
        I agree. However, it's not as simple a task as I originally assumed. Asked a mate and my eyes glazed over after 5 minutes of questioning about the technicalities of my requirements, most of which I hadn't a hope of undertsanding what he was on about.

Comment

Even if you are fit you'll struggle to do 100 miles. Depends on the terrain though. If flat or downhill its easy
          If uphill and you haven't used those muscles for a while forget it.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Even if you are fit you'll struggle to do 100 miles. Depends on the terrain though. If flat or downhill its easy
            If uphill and you haven't used those muscles for a while forget it.
            So you reckon 4 months training is not enough?

Comment

You won't need to be super fit to do it, as is evident from the number of people who do London to Brighton every year without any noticeable training. But if you haven't ridden a bike regularly, even a few miles a day, then you will be pretty bruised and stiff after the first day. I'd definitely start cycling to work, if that's at all feasible, just to get the right muscles working smoothly, and to toughen up the padding between your legs (takes a couple of weeks for that to stop being sensitive).

I've been meaning to do London to Paris one of these days but, er, never quite got round to it. Good luck.

Comment

Build up slowly. Injury will make the trip either (a) a non-event or (b) an event far, far harder than it needs to be.

Comment

Be late for the ferry. Then it stops after 1 day. Take the train to Paris. Be plastered when your mates arrive sore and broken.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

15mph is a fairly slow and reasonable average on the road..road pros will regularly maintain 30+ and velodrome speed is 50+

Assuming you're at the lower end that's about +7 hours a day for 4 days..do you think you can you do it? To be ready in 4 months will depend on how fit you are already..
                    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Working...
                    X