• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Our Patron Saint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Patron Saint

Whilst researching saints with Pogle jr to help her choose her Conformation name, I came across Saint Isidore of Seville who is the the patron saint of computers, computer users, computer programmers and the Internet.

http://www.scborromeo.org/saints/isidores.htm

apparently he "gave his work a structure akin to that of the database"!
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Whilst researching saints with Pogle jr to help her choose her Conformation name, I came across Saint Isidore of Seville who is the the patron saint of computers, computer users, computer programmers and the Internet.

http://www.scborromeo.org/saints/isidores.htm

When I made my confirmation, one of the girls took that name... she had the books out in the library and just closed her eyes and picked a saint
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

' His elder brother Leander was his immediate predecessor in the Metropolitan See of Seville; whilst a younger brother St. Fulgentius presided over the Bishopric of Astigi. His sister Florentina was a nun, and is said to have ruled over forty convents and one thousand religious'

Blooming heck, it must have been a relational database

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        ' His elder brother Leander was his immediate predecessor in the Metropolitan See of Seville; whilst a younger brother St. Fulgentius presided over the Bishopric of Astigi. His sister Florentina was a nun, and is said to have ruled over forty convents and one thousand religious'

Blooming heck, it must have been a relational database

You mean it was full of bugs, un-normalised data, unintended redundancies, built using obscure unintelligible code that he’d outsourced to the orient and version 8.0.3.0.31a was not compatible with 8.0.3.0.31b? Good stuff, he obviously provided the first contracts for testers.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

For those of us who spend time on the bench (luckily for me, not more than three weeks at a time in the past seven years) - St Jude?

Comment

The patron saint of computers??..I though that was St Bill Gates because he's managed to turn 64k of RAM into at least 4Gb.
            Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              For those of us who spend time on the bench (luckily for me, not more than three weeks at a time in the past seven years) - St Jude?
              Ah, the patron saint of hopeless cases....
              Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                Ah, the patron saint of hopeless cases....
                Yup.

Sounds like my first marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  When I made my confirmation, one of the girls took that name... she had the books out in the library and just closed her eyes and picked a saint
                  Pogle Jr has taken it all very seriously and has chosen St Ambrose she can be a bit Geeky at times .
                  Did you do yours when you were 13? At my daughters school they get confirmed at 8 before their 1st Holy Communion, which seemed a bit odd to me.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    Yup.

Sounds like my first marriage.
                    Mine too.... maybe we should have had him preside over the ceremony!!

Nevermind, without that first wedding and marriage, I wouldn't be who I am today do feck it... it's all part of lifes rich tapestry!

Oh my God, I think that was the most sensible thing I have ever said about being married before.... maybe I am ill
                    Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                    X