• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catholics and birth control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catholics and birth control

So come on, believers, why aren’t there more catholics than muslims? Have you all been ignoring the Papal Bull?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Have you all been ignoring the Papal Bull?
    Yes. Next.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

So come on, believers, why aren’t there more catholics than muslims? Have you all been ignoring the Papal Bull?
      I certainly have
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        I certainly have
        Is that why it's called a Bull? Sort of 'here are your commandments my children, but they're mostly a load of Bull anyway'?

Comment

Is that why it's called a Bull? Sort of 'here are your commandments my children, but they're mostly a load of Bull anyway'?
          You do seem in a very testy mood today Mitch - are you having a bad day?
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

To save you, and everyone else, Wikipediaing it (spot the new verb):

A Papal bull is a particular type of letters patent or charter issued by a pope. It is named after the bulla that was appended to the end to authenticate it.
            Bulla (plural, Bullae), is a type of seal.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

You're not meant to point out your own jokes. Nil points for subtlety.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm in a mood for testing and the bloody test environment's offline. Had got through retesting about 30 findings this morning, thereby discovering some juicy new bugs, and then the whole thing went splat at about 1 o'clock. Some bloke in Belgium's pulling his hair out trying to get it up and running again. I'l buy him a beer on friday when I go to Gent.

Comment

I’m just curious about these things. Obviously any religion requires its adherents to use their brains and apply principles to their day to day lives, so it doesn’t surprise me that many Catholics choose to use birth control. They have brains and can think for themselves. I’m just interested as to whether it’s an issue that involved very difficult moral consideration for you, or something that you’re actually very matter of fact about. It’s not really religion that interests me but how people apply their moral beliefs in a practical way, which is something both religious and non-religious people need to do (and some people should perhaps think about a little more).

Comment

I’m just curious about these things. Obviously any religion requires its adherents to use their brains and apply principles to their day to day lives, so it doesn’t surprise me that many Catholics choose to use birth control. They have brains and can think for themselves. I’m just interested as to whether it’s an issue that involved very difficult moral consideration for you, or something that you’re actually very matter of fact about. It’s not really religion that interests me but how people apply their moral beliefs in a practical way, which is something both religious and non-religious people need to do (and some people should perhaps think about a little more).
                    Nope - no difficult moral decisions for me. I'm not yet at a point in my life where I could give a child a stable home so why would I bring a child into the world if I could not offer it even that.

It's a bit like the abortion issue. I could never comment on any womans decision to have an abortion as it has to be a personal and private decision.

No out of touch old giffer in a museum in Rome can tell me that I shouldn't do something because God wouldn't like it.

Hmmmm - not sure if that rant will make sense to anyone other than me

Edit - Ok - thinking about this now - I realise that I do know a woman who uses abortion more like contraception - which I think is wrong. One "mistake" I can believe/understand - anymore than that is stupidity.
                    Last edited by cailin maith; 5 May 2009, 15:49. Reason: clarifying my views :D
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Comment

Working...
                    X