• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Science in Secondary Schools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science in Secondary Schools

Do secondary schools still teach separate sciences - Physics, Chemistry and biology? and can you still do each one separately at GCSE?
    Or does everyone do a 'general science' subject instead?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

No idea.

Back in the 80's, our school split sciences in to individual disciplines, eg, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, etc.

I suspect that in previous aeons, it was all rolled in to one subject, since there wasn't as much body of knowledge to render individual courses.

Oh if it were only that simple today :-)
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

As far as I know, no.

Kids can choose "double science" or "triple science", the latter being more closely aligned to what we think of as Bio, Chem & Phys

Comment

Even "back in my day" I did a physics/chemistry O level a year early : though the subjects were taught seperately.

So the rot had started even then........

Comment

I believe there might still be a seperate GCSE Physics. In any event there has been a fair amount of call to move away from "double" and "triple" back to individual GCSES rather than this slightly bizarre combined thing.

Triple Science isn't offered everywhere anyway.

In any event unless Pogle Jr has made his/her choices you can be fairly surely the system will have changed (again) by then. [I think there are some changes for those starting GCSE courses in 2009 anyway].

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...nce/index.html
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7966688.stm
          http://www.21stcenturyscience.org/th...e,1423,NA.html

Comment

I remember doing Domestic Science, probably one of the most valuable lessons I ever did in preperation for the future. Taught me how to cook, clean, sew and all the fundamentals of looking after oneself. Chemistry taught me the basics of making explosives and an unhealthy interest in medicine cabinets, Biology in bodies and lobbing cut up frogs and bulls eyes at other people and Physics, erm, sleeping.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I did Physics "O" Level and got a "U" for "Unclassified".

Oh well.

It may have something to do with the fact that my friend and I used our physics lessons to explore the dynamics of metal fatigue upon our Games Workshop miniatures, when we used to play small scale skirmishes at the back of the class.

Our student's desks were huge and two people sat side by side. Put up a barrier of your Adidas school bags in front of each of you, and you had a great shield to keep out prying eyes.

There's nothing quite like melting your opponent's Ents or Trolls with a Bunsen Burner. (Well, the rules did say that Fire is especially harmful to those units).
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                Do secondary schools still teach separate sciences - Physics, Chemistry and biology? and can you still do each one separately at GCSE?
                Or does everyone do a 'general science' subject instead?
                Nowadays it's called playing with lego because all other names have been deemed non PC. It's also what they actually do in class.
                Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Biology shouldn't count anyway I reckon. It's basically an extension of flower-arranging.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Biology shouldn't count anyway I reckon. It's basically an extension of flower-arranging.
                    Poorest troll of the year so far
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X