• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yay, some doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay, some doom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8035002.stm

Manchester will this autumn become the first city where people can sign up for an ID card, Jacqui Smith says.

Anyone over 16 in the city who holds a UK passport will be able to apply for a card at a post office or pharmacy.
    I read somewhere that the ID card technology (biometric) is being developed under contract by Thales SA in South Africa and will be ready for the tail end of 2010.

So if the ID cards are voluntary at the moment, it will need an act of parliament to make them a legal requirement. And the only way an act of parliament would be able to be pushed through is if it was deemed to be in the best interests of national security ...

You get my drift
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8035002.stm

I read somewhere that the ID card technology (biometric) is being developed under contract by Thales SA in South Africa and will be ready for the tail end of 2010.

So if the ID cards are voluntary at the moment, it will need an act of parliament to make them a legal requirement. And the only way an act of parliament would be able to be pushed through is if it was deemed to be in the best interests of national security ...

You get my drift
    The world's going mental and Ms Smith is in the vanguard. Why the heck would one voluntarily apply for an ID card?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      The world's going mental and Ms Smith is in the vanguard. Why the heck would one voluntarily apply for an ID card?
      They will. Fact of life. Then there will be some threat to national security that makes us all convinced it's a good idea. And around that time the fluoride levels will go up in our water.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

They will. Fact of life. Then there will be some threat to national security that makes us all convinced it's a good idea. And around that time the fluoride levels will go up in our water.
        What, the Jews are poisoning the wells? FFS - get a grip NuLab.

Comment

ID cards will deliver real benefits to everyone, including increased protection against criminals, illegal immigrants and terrorists

The biggest threat to civilised life is Jacqui Smith
          Originally posted by cailin maith
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post

The biggest threat to civilised life is Jacqui Smith
            boots
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              If it was me, I would say to the people of Manchester 'Wait a year and pay £150, or apply for the trial and get one free'

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

At £60 each - I don't think so
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

As soon as Labour say that you need an ID card to get any benefits people will be signing up in their millions.

Comment

is being developed under contract by Thales SA in South Africa
                    so much for "british jobs for british workers"

Comment

Working...
                    X