• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My dad told me this story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad told me this story

When I was a young lad, I explained to my dad about efficiency. I think it was something to do with physics. I explained to him that this could transfer to everyday life, and if we all became a bit more efficient, well...we could change the world.

So he thought about that for a while , then he told me this story.

He worked in the boiler room in an engineering works and they employed two stevedores or coal shovelers. One was sis foot six with a great big shovel, the other was five foot two and could barely pick up a full coal scuttle.

The big guy could shovel ton of coal an hour without breaking into a sweat, but his big shovel didnt fit the boiler hatch and the coal went everywhere. He spent half of his shift shovelling coal back OUT of the boiler room. When it was the little guys shift, he could only move just over half a ton, but it went exactly where it was supposed to go, and he had time to spare to feed the little fire that kept the yard workers warm.

Thats the difference between being efficient, and being effective, he said.

silly old sod

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    When I was a young lad, I explained to my dad about efficiency. I think it was something to do with physics. I explained to him that this could transfer to everyday life, and if we all became a bit more efficient, well...we could change the world.

So he thought about that for a while , then he told me this story.

He worked in the boiler room in an engineering works and they employed two stevedores or coal shovelers. One was sis foot six with a great big shovel, the other was five foot two and could barely pick up a full coal scuttle.

The big guy could shovel ton of coal an hour without breaking into a sweat, but his big shovel didnt fit the boiler hatch and the coal went everywhere. He spent half of his shift shovelling coal back OUT of the boiler room. When it was the little guys shift, he could only move just over half a ton, but it went exactly where it was supposed to go, and he had time to spare to feed the little fire that kept the yard workers warm.

Thats the difference between being efficient, and being effective, he said.

silly old sod

Crap managers.
    They could have hired one big guy with a small shovel.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Crap managers.
      They could have hired one big guy with a small shovel.
      Or one big guy with 2 small shovels and a 3rd sticking out of his arse. Or a wheel barrow. Or a treadmill that feeds directly from start to finish. The list goes on...

Comment

Or complained to the government about a shortage of skilled coal shovellors and got 5 Indians in at half the price. Much cheapness, plenty....
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
        X