• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Teacher guilty of 'snogging' boy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelley White

White's solicitor did not represent her after she gave her evidence
    A teacher has been found guilty of "snogging" a 15-year-old pupil.

Shelley White, 25, was convicted by a jury at Leeds Crown Court of kissing the teenager twice in a classroom and once in a store cupboard.

White, of High Green, Sheffield, had denied three counts of abuse of trust by sexual activity with a child.

The teacher, who is awaiting sentence, claimed the 6ft pupil had made advances towards her and physically assaulted her at the school in West Yorkshire.

The jury took just over 11 hours to reach a majority verdict on each count.

At the start of the case, prosecutor Richard Newbury told the jury: "This case is about a school teacher who, in the course of her employment, snogged - that's her word - a pupil three times in less than a week."

The teenager told the jury he had been alone with White when she first kissed him in June last year and they had talked about having sex.

It's fair to say that you are a victim... a victim of your own stupidity
    Judge Sally Cahill QC

White was later suspended by the school after music teacher Julie Bellas reported her for bragging about her encounters with the boy.

Judge Sally Cahill QC said she would not pass sentence today, but when she did, White would not be going to jail.

"You have throughout this trial portrayed yourself as a victim," she told White.

"It's fair to say that you are a victim, but not a victim as you put it of your friends, the boy, and the press, but a victim of your own stupidity.

"It is very sad to see you standing before me as you do."

Granting White bail, the judge asked for pre-sentence reports to be made before she passed sentence and expressed concern about how much the case had cost because White had chosen to "take it this far".

Thanking the jury she told them White's solicitors had informed the court that they had stopped representing her after she had given her evidence last week.

They could draw their own inference from that, she added.

--------

Fecks sake, surely she won't get prison sentence for it?

snogging

That's why the judge said "she would not pass sentence today, but when she did, White would not be going to jail".

Comment

She kissed a 15 year old. Big deal. Shouldn't be encouraged but the boy probably had the time of his life. Ruining her life over it is crazy. Pretty soon it will be illegal to hold hands.

Comment

Shouldn't have gotten to court - she should have accepted her position was untenable - blameless or not.

Judge Jabber.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
          Shouldn't have gotten to court - she should have accepted her position was untenable - blameless or not.

Judge Jabber.

Surely she was officially still teaching him something?

Comment

Originally posted by steve'O
            Surely she was officially still teaching him something?

wish I had teachers like that in my time!
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky

Judge Jabber.

The "Untenable Position" not sure I know that one - Is it like Doggy ?
              I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Well she was giving the boy some French oral, so it was more like Froggy.

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                  wish I had teachers like that in my time!
                  Seconded.

Just what is it with teachers these days? When I was at school the teachers were apparently all doing it with each other, maybe they still are?, but now they're all doing it with the pupils as well.

Did have a teacher wink at me once though, after patting her on the rear with my notebook...bugger, maybe I was too damn young to read the signals...
                  Last edited by Joe Black; 20 October 2005, 19:50.

Comment

Working...
                  X