• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police seize £67K cash from man because "he could not prove where the money came from

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police seize £67K cash from man because "he could not prove where the money came from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8033442.stm

Using the new "Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA)"

Now I had thought this act would be a good way to recover money from criminals. But this is a blatent abuse of this process because there is no direct evidence that the money is dirty, only an absence of evidence that the money is legitimate.

The police are a bunch of thieves

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

Now I had thought this act would be a good way to recover money from criminals. But this is a blatent abuse of this process because there is no direct evidence that the money is dirty, only an absence of evidence that the money is legitimate.

NuLabour stormtroopers
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      NuLabour stormtroopers
      I do hope they beat him within an inch of his life prior to confiscation
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

They should ask owner of a certain -ski football club to explain his fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
          I do hope they beat him within an inch of his life prior to confiscation
          he slipped and fell

Comment

He should have just said he found it. Then, if no one claimed it after six months or whatever, they'd have to give it back to him. (I think that's how it works?)

Comment

No evidence? No problem.
              He's lucky he doesn't have a turban and a beard or he'd be in Belmarsh.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Sounds like a tune to me.........
                Bored.

Comment

This IS a worry.

The Assets Recovery Agency that was much-trumpeted as a way of recovering assets from people who were "obviously crooks, but we couldn't prove it in court" is a very real and very full-on concern. Surely if TheState cannot prove that you're a crook, then TheState should have no right to seize your goods?

It was rolled into SOCA (Serious Organised Crime Agency) when SOCA was founded.

Comment

"Specific criminal conduct need not be proved. "

"It is enough to show that the cash is probably related to one of a number of kinds of activity, any one of which would have been unlawful, for example, cheating the revenue, trading in counterfeit goods, drug supply or falsely claiming state benefits."

WTF is happening here.

Comment

Working...
                    X