• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fitting False Ceiling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting False Ceiling

Random post and I know this isn't a DIY forum but I thought I would ask anyway.

Has anyone had a false ceiling fitted in a kitchen or bathroom ?

I'm trying to get one done but having a few problems finding someone to do it as it seems to go across 3 trades, plasterer (for ceiling / skim), chippie (for frame), sparky for lights. I thought it would cost a £400 max for a 3m x 2.2m room with 6 lights but the only quote I managed to get was just under £1k, as it was 3 tradesman. If anyone else has had one done did they have to use 3 x trademan or did you manage to find one who would do it all ?

You might find someone who can do 2 of the 3, but all 3 would be rare. I could do the frame, the plasterboard and the electrics but would make a right mess of the skimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post

I'm trying to get one done but having a few problems finding someone to do it as it seems to go across 3 trades, plasterer (for ceiling / skim), chippie (for frame), sparky for lights. I thought it would cost a £400 max for a 3m x 2.2m room with 6 lights but the only quote I managed to get was just under £1k, as it was 3 tradesman. If anyone else has had one done did they have to use 3 x trademan or did you manage to find one who would do it all ?
      Plasterers I've used in the past would be able to handle the frame, plasterboard and skim, but few would also be qualified electricians I would imagine. You might find the plasterer would give you a quote for the whole job but sub-contract the electrical work out to a mate.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Do you really need a false ceiling, a bit over over boarding should do the job. Especially if you are just fitting down lights.

We had a similar thing done in a kitchen and the sparky managed to do all the cabling and we didn't need the ceiling skimmed either. Cost was £250 for the sparky.

Comment

I only need one database application, so I only need one contractor. Must be BA/Architect, Designer, Coder, Tester, Support and DBA. Why would I want more than one person for "one" job?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post

Is there anyone buiding houses near by? If so ask the foreman if anyone is interested in "foreigners". Should cost you a fraction of 1k
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              Do you really need a false ceiling, a bit over over boarding should do the job. Especially if you are just fitting down lights.

We had a similar thing done in a kitchen and the sparky managed to do all the cabling and we didn't need the ceiling skimmed either. Cost was £250 for the sparky.
              Unfortantly yeah I need to have a false ceiling, at the moment the kitchen has a dodgy 70's / office style suspended ceiling with lights behind it, when I went to pull it down I found that the shower drainage pipe had been fed through the kitchen ceiling and it can't be moved without messing around in the bathroom. Told the guy to do it now, can't be bothered it and its the last big thing I need doing to the place, I recon I'm paying £200 over the odds but worth it just to get it done and not have to deal with getting more quotes in etc.

Comment

Are you going to stash your cash up there instead of dodgy foreign internet banks?

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom View Post
                  You might find someone who can do 2 of the 3, but all 3 would be rare. I could do the frame, the plasterboard and the electrics but would make a right mess of the skimming.
                  WHS! I could do everything else but large scale plastering is best left to the experts!
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                  X