• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do your mates know how much you earn?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do your mates know how much you earn?

I have quite a few mates who go back to University days. A few of us have struck lucky and are making good money, others haven't, and are earning "normal" salaries.

Have any of you hit the problem where, as your contacting millions roll in, those who aren't earning as much start treating you differently (i.e. negatively?) I now have to be really circumspect about where I go on holiday, what car I'm interested in, what house I'm looking at, etc.

I guess it's just common tact really, but it's a shame to have to be *quite* so wary around people you're supposed to be able to be open with.

No problems like that here because I'm completely skint and I fit right in with my peers.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

A mate was very shocked when I told her my holiday was going to cost over £6000.
      £4000 in lost revenue and £2000 on the holiday.

She'd be even more shocked at the lost revenue from 3 months on the bench...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        She'd be even more shocked at the lost revenue from 3 months on the bench...
        Just don't tell her how much she is losing by not "contracting" out on streets - you will get a big slap for that...

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
          I have quite a few mates who go back to University days. A few of us have struck lucky and are making good money, others haven't, and are earning "normal" salaries.

Have any of you hit the problem where, as your contacting millions roll in, those who aren't earning as much start treating you differently (i.e. negatively?) I now have to be really circumspect about where I go on holiday, what car I'm interested in, what house I'm looking at, etc.

I guess it's just common tact really, but it's a shame to have to be *quite* so wary around people you're supposed to be able to be open with.

I kinda feel sorry for one of my uni postgrad mates. He's on a "normal" salary but with a massive mortgage for a small ground floor flat not even within walking distance to a pub. He has to organise meet ups months in advance as he can't afford to just do something when he wants. And has a normal car.

I on the other hand have a big fast car as took a risk going into contracting and have no mortgage indeed am considering buying but only in the future and only big and with cash presented in a suitcase. I just don't like paying interest, won't be a slave.

who is more free? I'd say it was me. But I still feel sorry for my mate he's now chained to normaldom.

Comment

Most people think I’m poor because I’m scruffy and I drive an increasingly tulip French car, which I will not be replacing with the undeniably beautiful Citroen C6 because I’m now sick to the back teeth of PSA’s tulipty breakdown service. Most people think Mrs Tester is stinking rich because she’s covered from head to toe in expensive clothes, drives a trendy little Italian car and turns her nose up at cheapo house wines in restaurants. Only a few ask ‘how come that nurse is always dressed so well’ and put two and two together. I don’t show off my wealth, but quietly put money into the rugby club and some local charities. I wasn’t brought up to flaunt wealth.

I don't talk about house prices because aside from providing a place to sleep, eat and tulip, I don't find houses very interesting.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

well the contracting ones have a good idea!
              But I don't discuss what I earn with anyone - I think that's a bit vulgar.
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                well the contracting ones have a good idea!
                But I don't discuss what I earn with anyone - I think that's a bit vulgar.

A lady of class. What on earth are you doing in here?

Comment

A few of my mates know. They asked so I told them.

I don't bring it up but if someone asks "what do you charge a day" I tell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    A few of my mates know. They asked so I told them.

I don't bring it up but if someone asks "what do you charge a day" I tell them.
                    yes, but 'what do you charge' is not the same as 'how much do you earn´

Comment

Working...
                    X