• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting abroad

Good day!

As the market here is pretty poor i've started looking abroad for the first time.

Does anyone know what, if anything, I require to work in the EU?

I am a British Citizen, born in UK.

Also, do I need anything to work in places such as Saudi, Bahrain etc?

Many thanks in advance!

Originally posted by grabruce View Post
    Does anyone know what, if anything, I require to work in the EU?
    Uh. A job?

(No, you don't need anything else. That's precisely what pisses the Daily Mail off.)

Comment

EU, as dang65 says a job. That does mean a job. A contract can be somewhat different, all sorts of weird and wonderful local rules depending on where you are.

The other places you mention. Visas, all sorts of permits, sponsors and a lot of other crap.

But it can be worth it.

Sometimes an innate ability to read what's on this site can help. And an a+ in contracting abroad. Pressing the search button is a start on this path.

Hint, top right, "contracting abroad" might be a start.
      Last edited by ASB; 6 May 2009, 23:55.

Comment

Different countries have different rules (and tax treatments) for those of us classed as contractors. For example, until relatively recently, there was no such thing as a contractor in Czech law - everyone (and I do mean *everyone*) was an employee of the clientco.

Comment

depends where you work on what will be the most tax efficient way of working..

i.e if you contract through your uk ltd in Germany and work there for over 6 months in most cases you will be classed as resident in Germany and therefore be subject to local personal taxes (income tax, healthcare, church tax if religious etc.) as well as uk ltd taxes. In this case it is usually better to work as self employed in Germany and pay German taxes and not work via your uk ltd. Although this does depend on your personal circumstances..

Best advice is get a job first, then get advice from a local english speaking accountant and as always do your research before signing the contract.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
          X