• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious question - what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious question - what would you do?

Deep breath.

My father died of cancer in January. Diagnosed middle of last year, apart from the difficulties accepting the news life went on and no-one would have known any different.

October last year his consultant asked him if he would like to begin treatment or do nothing, my father choose the former. 4 months later he died. In fact his illness only seemed to suddenly progress after treatment.

Only recently the consultant advised the family my father did not die of cancer. He said nothing more, not even when asked, they just sat there in silence.

Death certificate says Caner, everyone in the family knew this was the case, now the consultant says differently. In fact he went on to say there's no way the disease could have progressed in such a short space of time.

The family is left clueless and angry. But we all share one opinion, what possible difference will any action make apart from bringing up unnecessary feelings?

What would you do?

There's still a feeling this is not closed but yet at the same time no one wants to bring it up.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Do you think the doctor is implying he got a hospital acquired illness, cdiff or MRSA for instance?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

If you genuinely think there may have been mistakes made in his treatment, you might want to chase this for the simple reason of trying to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else.
      I don't however personally think there's a good reason otherwise. Proving someone cocked up doesn't change anything, and I always think trying to seek compensation cheapens things.

You also have to consider the consultant may be wrong.

Sorry for your loss.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Either way the boy is dead. You're not going to prove anything without another PM and just think about the upset that would cause...

Sleeping dogs would be my advice.

Comment

I'd want to know exactly what killed him if this was me.

In fairness, my old man had cancer, got worse on just the 3rd treatment (first made worse, 2nd seemed to cause regression). he got worse as in over night dramatic change, followed passing away within 2.5wks.

The fact it may not be cancer could affect you all. potentially cancer is passed on through family. it coul dyour mind at ease, nevermind potentially lower any life insurance.
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Firstly... very sorry to hear this scooterscot. My condolences to you and your family. Even if you're prepared for it, losing a parent is a life changer.

About the consultant... personally, I'd want closure on this one. If he didn't die of cancer I'd want to know what he did die from. I'm not sure what the correct procedure is for this, but I'd want to follow it up. Doubts like these can linger for years.

It makes me suspicious that the consultant refused to reply when you asked him directly. Suspicious enough to think there was (perhaps) some culpability there, as that's the most logical reason I can think of for his silence - the fear of litigation.

In this case I'd ask a doctor friend/relative about what can be done to establish the cause of death/follow this up.

Comment

I'm with the majority of opinion so far.... so true is the old saying.

Architects have to live with there mistakes, Doctors can bury them...
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Deep breath.

My father died of cancer in January. Diagnosed middle of last year, apart from the difficulties accepting the news life went on and no-one would have known any different.

October last year his consultant asked him if he would like to begin treatment or do nothing, my father choose the former. 4 months later he died. In fact his illness only seemed to suddenly progress after treatment.

Only recently the consultant advised the family my father did not die of cancer. He said nothing more, not even when asked, they just sat there in silence.

Death certificate says Caner, everyone in the family knew this was the case, now the consultant says differently. In fact he went on to say there's no way the disease could have progressed in such a short space of time.

The family is left clueless and angry. But we all share one opinion, what possible difference will any action make apart from bringing up unnecessary feelings?

What would you do?

There's still a feeling this is not closed but yet at the same time no one wants to bring it up.
                My condolences for you and your families' loss.

Difficult as this might be to bring up, how did you dispose of your fathers remains? If he was cremated then there's no chance that you could get an autopsy performed; if he was buried there may be something left of your fathers remains that could be examined by a coroner although even then with decomposition and the effects of decomposition coming to a clear determination may be difficult.

Which type of cancer had your father been diagnosed with? If he had lung cancer and multiple masses and was given morphine as a form of pain relief the mechanism of action of morphine is that it's a respiratory depressant. It could then be said that the hospital had negligently killed him.

Alternatively, if he had MRSA or c.diff then that's something else that should be taken up with both the local NHS PCT and potentially a lawyer.

The consultant should be ashamed of himself and potentially in trouble with the GMC for writing cancer on the death certificate if that's not the cause of death (google "ash cash"). I think (and I may be wrong) that it's a criminal offence for a consultant to complete a death certificate falsely.

Please observe the following notes for purposes of sanity of all concerned: 1. I'm not a doctor; 2. I'm not a lawyer. Anything written here is for information only and no liability is accepted in providing this information which may be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  I'm with the majority of opinion so far.... so true is the old saying.

Architects have to live with there mistakes, Doctors can bury them...
                  It's really tulip this! Whatever ye decide, ye have to do it as a family and stay strong for each other.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Sorry to hear about that scooter, you definately need to investigate this further - the sooner you start the better because as time progresses people who were involved will move on. I'd take an aggressive action if I were you - get lawyer involved.

Comment

Working...
                    X