• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Environmental sabotage (in a good way)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Environmental sabotage (in a good way)

Long story - but I need to find some protected-species type animals that can be released onto some greenfield / brownfield land that may help scupper a local development for the good cause of rampant nimbyism that exists in our village.

Any recommendations anyone, and where / how I can get hold of them ?

Freeloading MPs are protected.

HTH

Comment

I am highly involved in a 'protect my park' type campaign. They want to build 180 houses on some land near me. Even though there are 3 badger sets there which they are not allowed to move by law they are still going through with it.

http://huntlypark.com/

Comment

You need some of these.

HTH
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Or plants - For example, Corfe Castle has several dozen species of rare litchen growing on the stones scattered around.

I suppose the downside is that you'd have to spend weeks reading up on litchens to become expert enough to know which ones are rare, and then figure out how smuggle several tons of masonry past the ticket office.

Failing that, is this site damp? If so, newts or natterjack toads or water rats might be the answer.

If it's sandy and heathery, for example in Dorset, then slow worms might be a good choice, or that rare species of lizard found only in Dorset.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think newts might fit the bill, plenty around in ponds. Used to collect them from greenfield sites that were about to be built on when I was a kid and move them somewhere else, other way about now I think.

Might be wrong though.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Newts are the ideal candidate.

Some redevelopment at a clients site delayed for no less than 18 months while they set up, monitored and reviewed a complex set of traps and huge area newt fences. The fences and traps cost an absolute fortune and there were a set of incredibly specific conditions to be met for each trapping and counting night to be valid. Excluding delays to the project the newt stuff cost the better part of 200k.

They found and trapped exactly ZERO newts!!!!!

Comment

Guinea pigs?
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  Guinea pigs?
                  He's looking for an environmental obsticle not a snack food item!!!!

Comment

Don't use one of these otherwise they will bulldoze the whole place, concrete it over and declare it a no-go zone
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X