• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nokia N95 & Linux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokia N95 & Linux

Guys, I've got a Nokia n95 and am looking to buy a netbook - has anybody else installed Nokia Suite on a Linux machine and does it work ok?

I'm hopinmg to be able to use my phone as the modem to connect to the internet when out of the office - does this work ok?

Also I'm thinking of getting an Orange broadband dongle to connect - do these work ok with Linux only I've heard stories that they only use Windows??
    #

Thanks for the help.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    Guys, I've got a Nokia n95 and am looking to buy a netbook - has anybody else installed Nokia Suite on a Linux machine and does it work ok?
    Thanks for the help.
    I've not tried installing PC Suite on Linux but the Wine compatibility list would suggest you're out of luck.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=1026

Comment

forgive my ignorance - Wine is a site that rates apps with Linux o/s?
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
        forgive my ignorance - Wine is a site that rates apps with Linux o/s?
        From the Wine website http://www.winehq.org/ (they can explain it much better than I could ever do):

Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.

So if a program isn't available natively for Linux, you can try running the Windows version using Wine. Unfortunately in this case, it looks like the parts of the Windows API used by Nokia PC suite are either incomplete or buggy within Wine - you therefore can't install/run PC suite within Linux using this method.

Comment

If you're just looking to use the N95 as a modem this is possible without the nokia suite on linux. I set that up on my eee pc a while ago with little problem. There are instructions somewhere online.

link here (looks close to what I did)

http://mynewn95.blogspot.com/2008/06...for-linux.html
          Last edited by Jaws; 8 May 2009, 15:09. Reason: added link

Comment

Working...
          X