• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on Cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Cars

Team,

I have seen a 2003 Discovery II TD5 Auto (28,000 miles) for sale for circa 12k gbp

Am seriously thinking to trade in the trusty Skoda Octavia tdi 4x4 and paying
    the difference to get the Discovery

why:

need a bigger car - family stuff
    like the higher ride position and safety it brings
    needs to be automatic for the missus as she'll burn out the clutches on manuals
    octavia has nearly 120k miles and is 5 years old

worries:

consumption will be approx 60% of what I get on the octavia
    reliability - isn't the td5 the bmw engine ?

do I buy it or don't I ?

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes
    Team,

I have seen a 2003 Discovery II TD5 Auto (28,000 miles) for sale for circa 12k gbp

Am seriously thinking to trade in the trusty Skoda Octavia tdi 4x4 and paying
    the difference to get the Discovery

why:

need a bigger car - family stuff
    like the higher ride position and safety it brings
    needs to be automatic for the missus as she'll burn out the clutches on manuals
    octavia has nearly 120k miles and is 5 years old

worries:

consumption will be approx 60% of what I get on the octavia
    reliability - isn't the td5 the bmw engine ?

do I buy it or don't I ?

Milan.
    I would. Make sure it's been serviced regularly.

Comment

You're mad.

How many kids do you have if they can't fit in a normal saloon car? You know a Discovery is like an inverse tardis. Massive on the outside, tiny on the inside. It's also just about the uglyest car in the world.

Comment

2 things it's from a main dealer

how many kids, one baby ! but feck me, just to go out for one night away we seem to be loaded up to the gunnels, pram, all sorts of baby accessories that I never knew existed and low and behold we have bags up to the roof in the boot !

Milan.

Comment

I used to have a disco, my farther has one currently, he is very happy with his, but expensive servicing, my disco was on an H plate and cost 12k, I had problems with the locking, engine, clutch ect, all very expensive to fix, so got rid of it in 18 months. But very good riding possition, lots of storage ect.Make sure your one has full service history, and get a full AA check on a 4x4 this can take some time, but in the long run its worth it!
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

alright more info,

it's from a land rover main dealer and has a year left on the warranty, it's not in the uk, so the AA inspection is not feasible

Milan.

Comment

n5 yours was one of the earliest wasn't it, about 1990 ?

servicing, if I get it, it will be serviced by a independent bloke so the most expensive cost will be the spares, his labour is very cheap, by western standards

more worried about chances of big problems, it has 28k miles, but what is the reliability of the engines and gearboxes etc ? I've heard horror stories of gearboxes needing replacing at 50k miles but then I also no people who have had range rovers from new, worked them hard and had no problems

planetit I rode in one a few times and they have more space than the octavia

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                alright more info,

it's from a land rover main dealer and has a year left on the warranty, it's not in the uk, so the AA inspection is not feasible

Milan.

make sure that the 1 year warranty is valid if you have it serviced out of country. main dealer tick, warranty tick, can you get an independent inspection?
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

What makes you think the Discovery is safer than the Skoda?

Comment

Have a look on www.honestjohn.co.uk They do a car by car breakdown. Also their forums are pretty good for questions like these.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X