• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving Through Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Through Europe

We are planning on driving through Europe in the summer, ending in Austria.

Is this too far to travel with a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old ? We are planning on stopping off half way through. Any advice or ideas where to stop off from anyone please ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    We are planning on driving through Europe in the summer, ending in Austria.

Is this too far to travel with a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old ? We are planning on stopping off half way through. Any advice or ideas where to stop off from anyone please ?
    It is very easy, Germans do it all the time. You will find it easier than driving in the UK especially as there are lots of stopping places on the Autobahn. Go for it. You will need to buy an Austrian road tax sticker. (it used to be about £12). Where in Austria are you going?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Thanks - we are ending up in Salzburg and then coming back via Center Parcs in France...

Comment

The Nürburgring is about half way...

linky
        Last edited by VectraMan; 8 May 2009, 21:18.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

you'll be fine we do a lot of driving through europe with a 2 and 4yr old

the best investment was the built in roof mounted dvd player in the car

the motorway services in germany and austria are top notch, look for the 'Rosenburger' motorway services in austria fantastic

make sure to do the sound of music tour in salzburg

have fun, make plenty of stops, keep playing dvd's and children's cd's and you will be fine

Milan.

Comment

No problem but watch out for school holidays, France or Germany. They all go on holiday together. In Germany the states are staggered. Nord-Rhein Westphalia will clog up the Autobahn. These days everyone has air conditioning, in July if it is good weather will be well into the 30´s.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Driving on the German roads is an experience. They have a set of rules and an etiquette, unlike driving darn sarf , where its dog eat dog

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Done many a contract in Southern Germany so driven the route a lot. In Friedrichshafen now.
                Not sure about with kids but it is about an 8 hour hit to Munich from Calais then 1.5 hours to Salzburg.
                Some people do the peages through France but I would suggest the Belgium, Holland, Lux, Germany routes are as quick and only add about 120 miles.
                Driving is easy on the main land as long as you realise that you are legaly obliged to give way to a car flashing you from behind.

Salzburg: Castle is a must. You get a superb view of the city from up there. Mirabel gardens for that Sound of Music moment. I would also recommend Schloss Heilbron.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  Salzburg: Castle is a must. You get a superb view of the city from up there. Mirabel gardens for that Sound of Music moment. I would also recommend Schloss Heilbron.
                  Also the salt mines with the underground slides and underground railways - kids love them! And so do I!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    Driving is easy on the main land as long as you realise that you are legaly obliged to give way to a car flashing you from behind.
                    My recollection of being a passenger on German roads 20-odd years ago was that if you didn't start getting out of the way of a car that was flashing its headlights at you when it was still half a mile away, you will probably be rammed within 15 seconds.

Wooooooooshhhhhhh!
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X